What are the job prospects for Nuclear Physicists outside of academia?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
PPFusion
Messages
6
Reaction score
1
What jobs can a Nuclear Physicist get that involves actual research? I am interested in the field and wish to do a PhD in it however, I don't really want to stay in academia (low pay, publish or perish etc.). So are there any industry jobs a Nuclear Physicist could do? Other?

Also if possible could answers be relevant to the UK/Europe.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
There is very little pure research in any field which is not academia or academia-like. Even in biotech companies where there is more research than in physical science-oriented companies there is higher pay but still the publish or perish pressure.
 
Though so. I think that settles it that I am going into either superconductors or photonics. Maybe biophotonics.
 
Is that because you think there are more industry positions available in those fields?
 
Not particularly. I am just narrowing down the fields that i would enjoy doing postgrad in There must be some good job opportunities in those fields though?