What Are the Linear Speeds of Binary Stars?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gunman
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Linear
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 5K views
Gunman
Messages
25
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A binary star consists of two stars of mass 5.0 * 10 ^ 30 kg each and separated by a distance of 2.0 * 10 ^ 11 m . The stars rotate about their common center of mass. Determine their linear speeds.

Homework Equations


F = GMm/r2
F = mv2/r

Well I’m confused on what is the r value. How is the object able to move in a circular motion when the point at which its spinning about isn’t the center of the circle?
And secondly when I’m using the formulae F = GMm/r2, is the r value 2.0 * 10 ^ 11 ?

Hmm. Would appreciate any help given to solve this problem. Thanks in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The two objects rotate around the center of mass of the system. In this case, the objects have the same mass so the COM is at the geometric center of the system. r doesn't equal the separation distance, but the distance from the center of mass of the system
 
Thanks for the help turdferfuson. =)

So it can be formulated that :

GMM/r2 = Mv2/r(Gravitational force = centripetal acceleration * M)
GM/r = v2 ( I cancel out the common mass M and bring over the r)
(GM/r) ^ (1/2) = v (I square root the equation to attain v)

Then I get the answer of 5.78 * 10 ^ 4 m/s. Its incorrect.
Any reason why I'm wrong ?
Thanks again. =)
 
Are you using one mass or the combined mass?
 
Gunman said:
So it can be formulated that :

GMM/r2 = Mv2/r(Gravitational force = centripetal acceleration * M)
Careful here. What does "r" represent? In the formula for gravitational force, r is the distance between the masses; but in the formula for centripetal force, r is the radius of the circular path. Those aren't the same!