What are the matter wave polarization parameters?

In summary, E/M waves can be polarized by filtering their electric or magnetic transverse vectors, but matter waves, such as the wavefunction in the Schroedinger equation, cannot be polarized as they are scalar and do not have a direction associated with them. This applies to all forms of matter waves, including single electrons passing through slits. Mid-level reference material on this subject is not readily available.
Greylorn
Gold Member
E/M waves can be polarized, presumably, by filtering either their electric or magnetic transverse vectors.

What about matter waves? Can they be electrically or magnetically polarized? Can they be polarized with respect to spin, parity, or any other parameter?

That's a lot of explanation, so could someone please point me in the direction of mid-level reference material on the subject? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean the wavefunction in the Schroedinger equation? No, the structure of the mathematics is such that those waves do not support a polarization. In that regard, they are like water waves.

Greylorn said:
E/M waves can be polarized, presumably, by filtering either their electric or magnetic transverse vectors.

What about matter waves?

[itex]\Psi[/itex] is a scalar, not a vector. Its value at a single point has no direction associated with it, unlike the electric and magnetic fields, which are vectors and do have a direction. Therefore a wave solution for [itex]\Psi[/itex] cannot have a polarization associated with it. The only direction associated with a [itex]\Psi[/itex] wave is the direction of propagation.

Vanadium 50 & jtbell---

Thanks for your replies! I shall assume that they apply to all forms of matter waves, single electrons passing through closely paired slits, etc. unless you let me know otherwise. That (i.e. no polarization) would be consistent with the information I've been unable to find.

1. What is the concept of matter wave polarization?

Matter wave polarization refers to the orientation of the matter wave in space, which can be described by its amplitude and phase.

2. What are the parameters that determine the polarization of a matter wave?

The polarization of a matter wave is determined by the amplitude, phase, and direction of the wave's electric field.

3. How can the polarization of a matter wave be measured?

The polarization of a matter wave can be measured through various techniques, such as interference experiments, scattering experiments, or using polarized detectors.

4. Can the polarization of a matter wave be changed?

Yes, the polarization of a matter wave can be changed through the application of external fields or interactions with other particles.

5. What is the significance of understanding matter wave polarization?

Understanding matter wave polarization is crucial in many fields of science, including quantum mechanics, optics, and materials science. It allows for the manipulation and control of matter waves, leading to advancements in technology and a deeper understanding of the fundamental nature of matter.