What are the mean and median of a die rolled 600 times?

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary: For (B), I do not have a clue as to what the question is asking. I think I am missing something.For (C), I think that this is a categorical variable, since the numbers on the die are simply labels. But at the same time, it seems like a quantitative variable because you are able to calculate the mean and the median...
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

The following represents the outcomes of a rolling a die 600 times.

FACE Number
1 107
2 120
3 84
4 110
5 92
6 87

Given this data:

A. What are the mean and median of appearances of each face?
B. What are the mean and median face value of the 600 rolls of the die?
C. Do the faces of the die represent a categorical or numerical variable?

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

For (A) I got mean = 3.34 and median = 3

For (B), I do not have a clue as to what the question is asking. I think I am missing something.

For (C), I think that this is a categorical variable, since the numbers on the die are simply labels. But at the same time, it seems like a quantitative variable because you are able to calculate the mean and the median...

If someone could clear up the ambiguities in this problem, I would appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your answer to A is actually the answer to B.

For C, you could consider answering Yes.

Likes phinds
A is asking for the mean and median frequencies.
B is asking for the mean and median values (1-6)
C is asking you to apply the definitions of categorical and numerical either to the best of your ability or to the expectation of the instructor. I would say that for the reasons you mentioned above, this is numerical (discrete).

RUber said:
A is asking for the mean and median frequencies.
B is asking for the mean and median values (1-6)
C is asking you to apply the definitions of categorical and numerical either to the best of your ability or to the expectation of the instructor. I would say that for the reasons you mentioned above, this is numerical (discrete).

For (A), would the mean, then, be 100, and the median 99.5?

That looks right to me. It is also what might be expected from 600 tosses of an unbiased die.

Likes Mr Davis 97

1. What is the "Die Statistics Problem"?

The "Die Statistics Problem" refers to the mathematical problem of calculating the probability of a certain outcome when rolling one or more dice. It is a common topic in statistics and probability courses.

2. How many possible outcomes are there when rolling two dice?

When rolling two dice, there are 36 possible outcomes. This is because each die has 6 possible outcomes, and when rolling two dice, the total number of outcomes is the product of the number of outcomes on each die (6 x 6 = 36).

3. What is the probability of rolling a specific number on one die?

The probability of rolling a specific number on one die is 1/6, or approximately 16.67%. This is because there are 6 possible outcomes on a die, and each outcome has an equal chance of occurring.

4. How can I calculate the probability of rolling a certain total on two dice?

To calculate the probability of rolling a certain total on two dice, you can use a table or a probability tree diagram. Another method is to divide the number of ways to get the desired total by the total number of possible outcomes (36). For example, to roll a total of 7, there are 6 ways to get this total (1+6, 2+5, 3+4, 4+3, 5+2, 6+1), so the probability would be 6/36 or 1/6.

5. How is the "Die Statistics Problem" relevant in real life?

The "Die Statistics Problem" is relevant in many real-life situations, such as in gambling, board games, and even in designing experiments. Understanding probabilities and outcomes can help make informed decisions and assess risks in these scenarios.