What are the nth roots of unity?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hoplite
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Means
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Hoplite
Messages
50
Reaction score
0
Hi everybody, this is my first post here.

I got this question, but I don't know what it means:


Fix n ≥ 1. If the nth roots of 1 are w0, w1, w2, . . . , wn−1, show that they satisfy:

(z − w0)(z − w1)(z - w2) · · · (z − wn−1) = z^n − 1

(z and wn are all complex numbers)

What I don't understand is, what does it mean by "nth roots of 1"? :confused:
I think by "roots" it means polynomial roots, but what does it mean to have a root of a number in this context?

Any help would be appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
try this:
let a^n=1
=cis(0+2k*pi) for k=integer
by de-moivres
a=cis(2(k/n)*pi)

there you have the roots, the bth root is probably k=b
 
Square root of one: [tex]\sqrt{1} = 1^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

Fourth root of one: [tex]\sqrt[4]{1} = 1^{\frac{1}{4}}[/tex]

.
.
.

etc.

.
.
.

nth root of one: [tex]\sqrt[n]{1} = 1^{\frac{1}{n}}[/tex]

There is more than one nth root i.e. more than one number (call them [itex]z[/itex]) that satisfies the equation:

[tex]z^n = 1[/tex]

In fact there are exactly "n" of them, just as there are two square roots of one, and four fourth roots of one. Do you see why?
 
Oops. Thanks, I shouldn't have missed that. I'll put it down to being the beginning of the semester. :redface: