What Are the Orthogonal Complements of Union and Intersection in Hilbert Spaces?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter LikeMath
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Orthogonal
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
13 replies · 3K views
LikeMath
Messages
62
Reaction score
0
Let M and N be two subsets of a hilbert space H.
What are orthogonal complements of following sets:
1) The union of M and N.
2) The intersection of M and N.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]x\in (M\cap N)^\bot[/itex] means
[itex]<x,y>=0[/itex] for all [itex]y\in M \text{ and } y\in N[/itex] and hence

[itex]x\in M^\bot\cap N^\bot.[/itex]. The other direction is obvious, so we get [itex](M\cap N)^\bot=M^\bot\cap N^\bot[/itex]
This is for the intersection, but I strongly think that I had a mistake.
 
[itex]x\in (M\cap N)^\bot[/itex] means
[itex]<x,y>=0[/itex] for all [itex]y\in M \text{ and } y\in N[/itex] and hence

[itex]x\in M^\bot\cap N^\bot.[/itex]. The other direction is obvious, so we get [itex](M\cap N)^\bot=M^\bot\cap N^\bot[/itex]
This is for the intersection, but I strongly think that I had a mistake.
 
I don't think the other inclusion is obvious.

In fact, I suspect [itex](M\cap N)^\bot = M^\bot + N^\bot[/itex]...
 
I do not know what do you mean by the sum of tow sets? and how can I prove that?
 
one can't, in general, sum two sets, but if we already have an addition defined, then:

A + B = {a+b : a is in A, b is in B}.
 
How did you guess that it is the sum of?

since my goal is to reach this equality.

How can we prove it?
 
normally, to prove 2 sets are equal, you show they contain each other.
 
Of course, but I did not manege tp solve it!
On the other hand, [itex](M\cap N)^\bot=M^\bot+N^\bot[/itex] means [itex]M^\bot+ N^\bot\subset M^\bot\cap N^\bot[/itex], but this seems senseless, does not it?
 
LikeMath said:
[itex]x\in (M\cap N)^\bot[/itex] means
[itex]<x,y>=0[/itex] for all [itex]y\in M \text{ and } y\in N[/itex] and hence

[itex]x\in M^\bot\cap N^\bot.[/itex]. The other direction is obvious, so we get [itex](M\cap N)^\bot=M^\bot\cap N^\bot[/itex]
This is for the intersection, but I strongly think that I had a mistake.

your definition of [itex](M\cap N)^\bot[/itex] isn't correct here.

we don't know that <x,y> = 0 for all y in M and y in N, just those y that are in the intersection. if y is in M-N, all bets are off.
 
Oh yes, that's the problem. But the problem now how can we prove that
[itex](M\cap N)^\bot=M^\bot+N^\bot[/itex]
 
LikeMath said:
[itex](M\cap N)^\bot=M^\bot+N^\bot[/itex]

I think we should have some contraintes on M and N, do not I?
 
Last edited:
LikeMath said:
I think we should have some contraintes on M and N, do not I?

Yeah, M and N should both be subspaces.