What are the physics of pole vaulting

In summary: They will also be able to help you stay injury free.In summary, a good pole vaulter should have a good understanding of the physics of the sport in order to perform at their best. They should also have a good personal trainer who can help them stay injury free.
Nick tringali
How to become a better pole vaulter, what are the physics of it?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a much discussed and studied sport, and a very big question, so you are best served by reading around the topic first. When you get stuck, then you can ask questions which will get more productive and to-the-point answers.

I'll start you off:
http://www.real-world-physics-problems.com/physics-of-pole-vaulting.html
http://www.wired.com/2012/08/olympics-physics-pole-vault/
... and the pole is usually springy.

The fastest way to get better at a sport is to hire a personal trainer specializing in that sport. ;)

Likes Silicon Waffle and Nick tringali
Thanks simon

Likes Simon Bridge
Nick tringali said:
How to become a better pole vaulter, what are the physics of it?

I agree with Simon. If you want to become a proficient pole vaulter, I would access as professional a trainer as you can afford. I'd think the last thing you'd want to focus on as you were soaring over the bar was the "physics" of the whole situation. That is more likely to confound your effort than enhance it. This is the problem with golfing I've been dealing with since I was a kid. Too much overthinking about the physics of each shot. I do my best when I relax and just focus on hitting the green or hitting the hole.

Likes Simon Bridge and Silicon Waffle
DiracPool said:
I do my best when I relax and just focus on hitting the green or hitting the hole.
In any sport requiring athletic precision you must be "In The Zone" to do well. People call it muscle memory, the unconscious, etc etc, but you need to get your conscious analysis out of the way of your training. As soon as you "consciously think about it", you lose it (short circuit the training). Musicians face the same fate if they start "trying" rather than doing.

The importance of a trainer is to correctly "program" the brain, so you are running in the hardware (so to speak). A good trainer (like any good teacher) will always challenge you just enough that you are continuously getting better without getting frustrated.

Likes Simon Bridge and DiracPool

What is pole vaulting?

Pole vaulting is a track and field event where an athlete uses a long, flexible pole to jump over a horizontal bar set at a certain height. It requires a combination of speed, strength, and technique.

What are the physics involved in pole vaulting?

Pole vaulting involves various physics principles such as gravity, momentum, and energy conservation. The athlete's speed and momentum play a crucial role in successfully clearing the bar. The pole also stores and releases energy, helping the athlete gain height.

How does the pole affect the athlete's jump?

The pole is a crucial factor in the athlete's jump as it acts as a lever, amplifying the force the athlete exerts. As the athlete plants the pole into the ground and pushes down, the pole bends, storing elastic potential energy. This energy is then released, propelling the athlete upwards and over the bar.

How does the athlete's body position affect the jump?

The athlete's body position is essential in achieving a successful jump. As the athlete approaches the bar, they must have a high-speed run-up and maintain a low body position to generate more horizontal velocity. As they plant the pole and take off, they must extend their hips and legs to convert horizontal velocity into vertical velocity.

What are some key factors for a successful pole vault jump?

To achieve a successful pole vault jump, the athlete must have a combination of speed, strength, and technique. They must also have a well-timed and coordinated approach, correct body positioning, and proper pole selection based on their weight and strength. Training and practice are also crucial for mastering the technique and building strength and speed.