IF north pole becomes the south pole...

what would happen if north pole of earth becomes south pole and south becomes north ?
What would be the chenges on earths climate or any other changes ??

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
what would happen if north pole of earth becomes south pole and north becomes south ?
I thought the north pole already was the south pole!

Likes Cuong Nguyen and 1oldman2
I thought the north pole already was the south pole!
i edited it
sorry

what would happen if north pole of earth becomes south pole and south becomes north ?
It would make no difference, as far as I know. There is a period in between in which the magnetic field is reduced, which would allow more radiation to come to earth. But this has happened before many times without mass extinctions or anything like that. I think there would be some effect on climate, but I don't know what.

Likes Cuong Nguyen and @PK nd
Could you describe in detail what you mean? As the poles are defined by the rotational axis the north pole cannot become the south pole. Thus I guess you mean something different.

Could you describe in detail what you mean? As the poles are defined by the rotational axis the north pole cannot become the south pole. Thus I guess you mean something different.
lets just imagine for a moment .

DrGreg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I guess we are being asked, what if the Magnetic North Pole moved from near the True North Pole to near the True South Pole?

Likes @PK nd
sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2020 Award
Aren't we being asked about when N and S flip and change places? This has happened already as described by Hornbein. There are strips of NSNSNSNS iron molecules to be found on the sea bead in one or more of the trenches. Don't ask me for a reference but it's well enough known to be in GCSE text books, as I remember.

Likes Vedward, @PK nd and davenn
I guess we are being asked, what if the Magnetic North Pole moved from near the True North Pole to near the True South Pole?
That's one possibility. Another interpretations would be flipping Earth's rotational axis relative to the ecliptic or flipping Earth relative to it's rotational axis.

Likes sophiecentaur and @PK nd
Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Since the OP refuses to ask when answered, guessing what he means is probably going to be fruitless.

i mean flipping Earth relative to it's rotational axis.

Since the OP refuses to ask when answered, guessing what he means is probably going to be fruitless.
theres a huge time difference between the world and india so man it was night when you all were guessing. What i meant ?
I am really sorry.

davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The earths' magnetic field has flipped man y many times over the millions of years

googling such will give you lots of hits

The earths' magnetic field has flipped man y many times over the millions of years

googling such will give you lots of hits
thnx

Last I heard the magnet pole was somewhere in Canada, heading on its way to Britain, is that right?

davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Last I heard the magnet pole was somewhere in Canada, heading on its way to Britain, is that right?
currently under the Arctic Ocean and going by those predictions, is going to pass by the Nth Geographic Pole and across into Russia region

magnet6.jpg

but considering its wild motions over the last 2000 yrs,, I would be surprised if its future location
could be calculated with any accuracy. I have seen a staggering drunk man do straighter paths :-p:biggrin:

Magnetic_North_Pole_Positions_200AD.jpg

Dave

Likes 1oldman2, Jim60 and anorlunda
sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2020 Award
That is never going to happen and the question is a bit like the "what would happen if you took the Sun away?" type questions.
Flipping the magnetic poles has been a common occurrence.

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Amazing. After 18 posts, we still don't know what the OP's question is. He says it's flipping the entire earth with respect to the rotational axis, someone answers as if he said flipping the magnetic poles, and he says "thanks". Well, "thnx". Apparently it's only worth 4 letters to thank us and not all six.

In an act of reckless optimism, let me ask yet again: "What exactly are you asking?"

That strongly depends on the time scale. If the process is as slowly as the normal continental drift nothing special would happen.
That is never going to happen
Something like that already happened to Mars. The crust has been flipped relative to the axis by 20-25°. Thus the question is not as absurd as you seem to think.

thanx for your replies .
I now got my answer .

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2020 Award
Something like that already happened to Mars. The crust has been flipped relative to the axis by 20-25°. Thus the question is not as absurd as you seem to think.
What happens to Angular Momentum though? 20 - 25° is not a lot compared with 180°; just a tilt and who knows what was the situation just before the event?
The core would have to be rotating much faster than it is to compensate for the 'outside bits' going in reverse.

What happens to Angular Momentum though?
Nothing.

20 - 25° is not a lot compared with 180°
Yes, of course. But it shows that such a process is possible.

The core would have to be rotating much faster than it is to compensate for the 'outside bits' going in reverse.
I'm afraid you have a wrong impression of the process we are talking about. The angular momentum of the crust doesn't change and therefore doesn't need to be compensated. You could even flip the whole planet upside-down without changing it's angular momentum.

If we are talking of the magnetic poles shifting, nothing much would happen, and there is geological evidence of this happening before without any major consequences.
(Perhaps the Earth would receive somewhat higher solar radiation while the changeover is in progress.)
If we are talking of the rotational axis changing then the only way that could happen would be due to very strong gravitational interaction between the Earth and another large body, or possibly a collision.
Since the planets in the solar system are now settled in to stable predictable orbits this isn't going to happen, at least not in any time scale relevant to humans.
If it did hypothetically occur it would likely induce chaotic climate changes, but this would settle eventually into some kind of seasonal pattern similar to the pattern at present.

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2020 Award
Nothing.

Yes, of course. But it shows that such a process is possible.

I'm afraid you have a wrong impression of the process we are talking about. The angular momentum of the crust doesn't change and therefore doesn't need to be compensated. You could even flip the whole planet upside-down without changing it's angular momentum.
I think you would have to agree that the total angular momentum must be unchanged if there's no external influence. So, if you want the rotation to change, how can you change the sign?

This is what my answers are all based on:

Likes @PK nd