1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B IF north pole becomes the south pole...

1. Apr 16, 2016 #1
    what would happen if north pole of earth becomes south pole and south becomes north ?
    What would be the chenges on earths climate or any other changes ??

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2016 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I thought the north pole already was the south pole!

4. Apr 16, 2016 #3
    i edited it
    sorry

5. Apr 16, 2016 #4
    It would make no difference, as far as I know. There is a period in between in which the magnetic field is reduced, which would allow more radiation to come to earth. But this has happened before many times without mass extinctions or anything like that. I think there would be some effect on climate, but I don't know what.

6. Apr 16, 2016 #5
    Could you describe in detail what you mean? As the poles are defined by the rotational axis the north pole cannot become the south pole. Thus I guess you mean something different.

7. Apr 16, 2016 #6
    lets just imagine for a moment .

8. Apr 16, 2016 #7
    What?

9. Apr 16, 2016 #8

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I guess we are being asked, what if the Magnetic North Pole moved from near the True North Pole to near the True South Pole?

10. Apr 16, 2016 #9

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Aren't we being asked about when N and S flip and change places? This has happened already as described by Hornbein. There are strips of NSNSNSNS iron molecules to be found on the sea bead in one or more of the trenches. Don't ask me for a reference but it's well enough known to be in GCSE text books, as I remember.

11. Apr 16, 2016 #10
    That's one possibility. Another interpretations would be flipping Earth's rotational axis relative to the ecliptic or flipping Earth relative to it's rotational axis.

12. Apr 16, 2016 #11

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Since the OP refuses to ask when answered, guessing what he means is probably going to be fruitless.

13. Apr 16, 2016 #12
    i mean flipping Earth relative to it's rotational axis.

14. Apr 16, 2016 #13
    theres a huge time difference between the world and india so man it was night when you all were guessing. What i meant ?
    I am really sorry.

15. Apr 16, 2016 #14

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The earths' magnetic field has flipped man y many times over the millions of years

googling such will give you lots of hits

16. Apr 17, 2016 #15
    thnx

17. Apr 17, 2016 #16
    Last I heard the magnet pole was somewhere in Canada, heading on its way to Britain, is that right?

18. Apr 17, 2016 #17

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

currently under the Arctic Ocean and going by those predictions, is going to pass by the Nth Geographic Pole and across into Russia region

magnet6.jpg

but considering its wild motions over the last 2000 yrs,, I would be surprised if its future location
    could be calculated with any accuracy. I have seen a staggering drunk man do straighter paths :-p:biggrin:

Magnetic_North_Pole_Positions_200AD.jpg

Dave

19. Apr 17, 2016 #18

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is never going to happen and the question is a bit like the "what would happen if you took the Sun away?" type questions.
    Flipping the magnetic poles has been a common occurrence.

20. Apr 17, 2016 #19

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Amazing. After 18 posts, we still don't know what the OP's question is. He says it's flipping the entire earth with respect to the rotational axis, someone answers as if he said flipping the magnetic poles, and he says "thanks". Well, "thnx". Apparently it's only worth 4 letters to thank us and not all six.

In an act of reckless optimism, let me ask yet again: "What exactly are you asking?"

21. Apr 17, 2016 #20
    That strongly depends on the time scale. If the process is as slowly as the normal continental drift nothing special would happen.
    Something like that already happened to Mars. The crust has been flipped relative to the axis by 20-25°. Thus the question is not as absurd as you seem to think.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted