What are the possible values of a in the inequality a < 1/a < b < 1/b?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Testify
Messages
15
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I originally made this thread for something else, but I have another problem that I need help with.

Suppose a and b are nonzero real numbers. Prove that if a < 1/a < b < 1/b then a < -1.

Homework Equations



A hint was given for the problem: Assume a < 1/a < b < 1/b. Now prove that a < 0, and then use this fact to prove that a < -1.


Thanks
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's not like threads go in the landfill and pollute kindergarten playgrounds after we're done with them. No need to recycle. Make a new thread when you have a new problem.

For this problem, first think about what it means when [tex]a<\frac1a[/tex]. What values could [tex]a[/tex] have? You should identify two possibilities (two open intervals where [tex]a[/tex] could be). The second part of the inequality will let you narrow it down to one.