Prove:if 1/a+1/b+1/c=1 and a,b,c >0 then (a-1)(b-1)(c-1)>=8

• Thread starter Danijel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    proof
In summary, the problem states that for positive numbers a, b, and c, if the equation 1/a + 1/b + 1/c = 1 holds, then the inequality (a-1)(b-1)(c-1) >= 8 is also true. The conversation discusses different strategies for proving this, including working backwards and using constrained optimization techniques. However, the latter approach may be too complex for the person seeking help.
Danijel
The problem: prove that if 1/a + 1/b + 1/c=1 and a,b,c are positive numbers then (a-1)(b-1)(c-1)>=8

I've tried it myself but couldn't do it. I have tried going backwards i.e. :
(a-1)(b-1)(c-1)>=8
(fast forward) abc -(ab+bc+ac) +a+b+c -1 >=8
Now from 1/a + 1/b + 1/c = 1 we have that ab+bc+ac/abc=1 thus :
ab + bc + ac = abc , so abc -(ab+bc+ac) +a+b+c -1>=8 is really a+b+c -1>=8
that is a+b+c >=9 . So If I could somehow prove that a+b+c>9 then I could work backwards and prove the former statement.
But the only progress I've made is :all of a,b,c must be greater than 1 because if they weren't then any of the 1/a,1/b,1/c would be greater then 1 thus we would need negatives(and a,b,c are positive) to "bring back" the value to 1, nor can they equal to 1 because the same thing would happen(one of 1/a,1/b,1/c would be equal to 1 and we would need negatives)so a>1, b>1, c>1 adding these three together we get a+b+c >3 ,and I need a+b+c+>=9.
Sorry for the long post. Could anyone give me some directions?

Thanks,
Daniel

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you prove it for 2?
## \frac1a + \frac1b = 1## Prove that ##ab\geq 4##?

Your problem hinges on the relationship between a, b, and c.
If a = b = c, then they are all 3, right?
Let's change one of the three...let a be (3-x), either b or c would have to increase to maintain the 1/a + 1/b + 1/c = 1 balance.
How much would it change?
Let's say they absorb the difference equally...share the burden, then you have ##\frac{1}{3-x} + \frac{2}{3+y} = 1##. Can you solve for y in terms of x? If y > x/2 you have shown that (3-x) + (3+y)+(3+y) > 9.

Likes Danijel
Thank you RUber!

Danijel said:
The problem: prove that if 1/a + 1/b + 1/c=1 and a,b,c are positive numbers then (a-1)(b-1)(c-1)>=8

I've tried it myself but couldn't do it. I have tried going backwards i.e. :
(a-1)(b-1)(c-1)>=8
(fast forward) abc -(ab+bc+ac) +a+b+c -1 >=8
Now from 1/a + 1/b + 1/c = 1 we have that ab+bc+ac/abc=1 thus :
ab + bc + ac = abc , so abc -(ab+bc+ac) +a+b+c -1>=8 is really a+b+c -1>=8
that is a+b+c >=9 . So If I could somehow prove that a+b+c>9 then I could work backwards and prove the former statement.
But the only progress I've made is :all of a,b,c must be greater than 1 because if they weren't then any of the 1/a,1/b,1/c would be greater then 1 thus we would need negatives(and a,b,c are positive) to "bring back" the value to 1, nor can they equal to 1 because the same thing would happen(one of 1/a,1/b,1/c would be equal to 1 and we would need negatives)so a>1, b>1, c>1 adding these three together we get a+b+c >3 ,and I need a+b+c+>=9.
Sorry for the long post. Could anyone give me some directions?

Thanks,
Daniel

You can regard this as a constrained optimization problem:
[tex] \begin{array}{l} \min_{a,b,c} f(a,b,c) = (a-1)(b-1)(c-1) \\
\text{subject to} \\
\displaystyle \frac{1}{a} + \frac{1}{b} + \frac{1}{c} = 1
\end{array}
[/tex]
Let us restrict the problem to ##a,b,c > 1##. There is a good reason for this, because if you allow any of ##a,b,c## to be ##< 1## but positive, then you must also allow one or more of them to be ##< 0## in order to balance out the constraint. In that case you can construct a sequence of feasible ##a_n, b_n, c_n## values that give ##f(a_n,b_n,c_n) \to -\infty##: an unbounded problem having no minimum.

OK, so we want ##a, b, c > 1##. Solve the constraint for ##c## as a function of ##a,b##, then plug that formula into ##f(a,b,c)## to get a new function ##F(a,b)## involving ##a## and ##b## alone, and with no constraint anymore (other than ##a,b > 1##, and implicitly, ##c > 1##). This unconstrained 2-variable optimization problem can be solved by finding the stationary point (or points) of ##F(a,b)##. If ##\min_{a,b} F(a,b) \geq 8## you are done.

Likes Danijel
Ray Vickson said:
You can regard this as a constrained optimization problem:
[tex] \begin{array}{l} \min_{a,b,c} f(a,b,c) = (a-1)(b-1)(c-1) \\
\text{subject to} \\
\displaystyle \frac{1}{a} + \frac{1}{b} + \frac{1}{c} = 1
\end{array}
[/tex]
Let us restrict the problem to ##a,b,c > 1##. There is a good reason for this, because if you allow any of ##a,b,c## to be ##< 1## but positive, then you must also allow one or more of them to be ##< 0## in order to balance out the constraint. In that case you can construct a sequence of feasible ##a_n, b_n, c_n## values that give ##f(a_n,b_n,c_n) \to -\infty##: an unbounded problem having no minimum.

OK, so we want ##a, b, c > 1##. Solve the constraint for ##c## as a function of ##a,b##, then plug that formula into ##f(a,b,c)## to get a new function ##F(a,b)## involving ##a## and ##b## alone, and with no constraint anymore (other than ##a,b > 1##, and implicitly, ##c > 1##). This unconstrained 2-variable optimization problem can be solved by finding the stationary point (or points) of ##F(a,b)##. If ##\min_{a,b} F(a,b) \geq 8## you are done.

Wow, I would've never thought of something like that. Although this way of proving is a little too complex for me.
Thank you for your reply!

1. What does the given equation represent?

The given equation represents a relationship between three positive numbers, where the sum of their reciprocals is equal to 1.

2. What is the significance of the inequality in the equation?

The inequality in the equation, (a-1)(b-1)(c-1)>=8, is a proof that shows the minimum value of the product (a-1)(b-1)(c-1) is 8 for any given values of a, b, and c that satisfy the equation 1/a+1/b+1/c=1.

3. How can we prove that the product (a-1)(b-1)(c-1) is always greater than or equal to 8?

We can use the AM-GM inequality to prove that the product (a-1)(b-1)(c-1) is always greater than or equal to 8. This inequality states that for any set of positive numbers, the arithmetic mean is always greater than or equal to the geometric mean. In this case, the arithmetic mean of the three numbers a-1, b-1, and c-1 is (a-1+b-1+c-1)/3=1, and the geometric mean is (a-1)(b-1)(c-1)^(1/3). By the AM-GM inequality, we have (a-1)(b-1)(c-1)^(1/3)<=1, which means (a-1)(b-1)(c-1)>=1^3=1. Since 1 is less than 8, we can conclude that (a-1)(b-1)(c-1)>=8.

4. Can you provide an example of values of a, b, and c that satisfy the equation and prove the inequality?

Yes, for example, let a=2, b=3, and c=6. Substituting these values into the equation 1/a+1/b+1/c=1, we get 1/2+1/3+1/6=1, which satisfies the equation. To prove the inequality, we can calculate the product (a-1)(b-1)(c-1)=(2-1)(3-1)(6-1)=8, which is equal to the minimum value of 8 that we proved earlier. Therefore, this example satisfies the equation and proves the inequality.

5. How does this equation and its proof relate to other areas of mathematics or real-life applications?

The equation and its proof are related to topics such as number theory, inequalities, and optimization. In real-life applications, this equation can be used to find the minimum value of a product when given a certain constraint, which is a common problem in optimization and economics. For example, a business owner may use this equation to determine the minimum cost of producing a specific number of products given a budget constraint.