1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove:if 1/a+1/b+1/c=1 and a,b,c >0 then (a-1)(b-1)(c-1)>=8

Tags:
  1. Oct 8, 2015 #1
    The problem: prove that if 1/a + 1/b + 1/c=1 and a,b,c are positive numbers then (a-1)(b-1)(c-1)>=8

I've tried it myself but couldn't do it. I have tried going backwards i.e. :
    (a-1)(b-1)(c-1)>=8
    (fast forward) abc -(ab+bc+ac) +a+b+c -1 >=8
    Now from 1/a + 1/b + 1/c = 1 we have that ab+bc+ac/abc=1 thus :
    ab + bc + ac = abc , so abc -(ab+bc+ac) +a+b+c -1>=8 is really a+b+c -1>=8
    that is a+b+c >=9 . So If I could somehow prove that a+b+c>9 then I could work backwards and prove the former statement.
    But the only progress I've made is :all of a,b,c must be greater than 1 because if they weren't then any of the 1/a,1/b,1/c would be greater then 1 thus we would need negatives(and a,b,c are positive) to "bring back" the value to 1, nor can they equal to 1 because the same thing would happen(one of 1/a,1/b,1/c would be equal to 1 and we would need negatives)so a>1, b>1, c>1 adding these three together we get a+b+c >3 ,and I need a+b+c+>=9.
    Sorry for the long post. Could anyone give me some directions?

Thanks,
    Daniel

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

Could you prove it for 2?
    ## \frac1a + \frac1b = 1## Prove that ##ab\geq 4##?

4. Oct 8, 2015 #3

RUber

Homework Helper

Your problem hinges on the relationship between a, b, and c.
    If a = b = c, then they are all 3, right?
    Let's change one of the three...let a be (3-x), either b or c would have to increase to maintain the 1/a + 1/b + 1/c = 1 balance.
    How much would it change?
    Let's say they absorb the difference equally...share the burden, then you have ##\frac{1}{3-x} + \frac{2}{3+y} = 1##. Can you solve for y in terms of x? If y > x/2 you have shown that (3-x) + (3+y)+(3+y) > 9.

5. Oct 8, 2015 #4
    Thank you RUber!!!

6. Oct 8, 2015 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can regard this as a constrained optimization problem:
    [tex] \begin{array}{l} \min_{a,b,c} f(a,b,c) = (a-1)(b-1)(c-1) \\
    \text{subject to} \\
    \displaystyle \frac{1}{a} + \frac{1}{b} + \frac{1}{c} = 1
    \end{array}
    [/tex]
    Let us restrict the problem to ##a,b,c > 1##. There is a good reason for this, because if you allow any of ##a,b,c## to be ##< 1## but positive, then you must also allow one or more of them to be ##< 0## in order to balance out the constraint. In that case you can construct a sequence of feasible ##a_n, b_n, c_n## values that give ##f(a_n,b_n,c_n) \to -\infty##: an unbounded problem having no minimum.

OK, so we want ##a, b, c > 1##. Solve the constraint for ##c## as a function of ##a,b##, then plug that formula into ##f(a,b,c)## to get a new function ##F(a,b)## involving ##a## and ##b## alone, and with no constraint anymore (other than ##a,b > 1##, and implicitly, ##c > 1##). This unconstrained 2-variable optimization problem can be solved by finding the stationary point (or points) of ##F(a,b)##. If ##\min_{a,b} F(a,b) \geq 8## you are done.

7. Oct 9, 2015 #6
    Wow, I would've never thought of something like that. Although this way of proving is a little too complex for me.
    Thank you for your reply!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted