1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the prerequisites to studying quantum mechanics?

1. Jan 5, 2014 #1
    Hi. I'm currently in high school, and ever since my physics teacher brought up quantum mechanics, I've been highly intrigued by it. I understand (at least I think I do!) the general basics of it, like schrodinger's cat, wave function collapse and quantum entanglement, but I don't understand the harder concepts. Any ideas on where I should start, both in mathematics and physics? I can do calculus up to calc 2 and conceptually understand some parts of real/complex analysis and linear algebra, and for physics I think I understand classical mechanics and the basic concepts of general relativity, but other than that, I'm lost.

(Yes, I'm a bit of nerd if you hadn't already noticed. lol).

EDIT: I just realized I should have posted this in the qm section. My bad.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    Students do not normally specialize in QM until their second year at University.

The more practiced you are at using math as a language the better though.

At senior HS level, you will need Physics, and Calculus as a minimum.
    You should also take Statistics and Algebra courses.
    Don't sweat it though - you only need to be "grounded" in these subjects, you don't have to be a wizz.

Beware of pop-sciencey sources or anyone who wants to show how QM is weird and counter-intuitive: they tend to try too hard to emphasize the "woo-wee" factor at the expense of the science.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook