What Are the Problems with Mole Fraction in Chemical Reactions?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
toforfiltum
Messages
341
Reaction score
4

Homework Statement


upload_2015-10-24_23-34-53.png


Homework Equations


not sure

The Attempt at a Solution


First, I'm a bit confused as to what the mole fraction of the products mean. Can someone explain? Is it something to do about the total number of carbon and hydrogen atoms in methane, ethene and propene?

Just can't figure this out.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Mole fraction is

[tex]\frac {number~of~moles~of~the~substance}{total~number~of~moles~of~all~substances~present}[/tex]
 
Borek said:
Mole fraction is

[tex]\frac {number~of~moles~of~the~substance}{total~number~of~moles~of~all~substances~present}[/tex]
Could you give me a hint as how this information can be used in finding X? I have no clue.
 
To be honest, I have no clue either. The only way to solve is to make some false assumptions about how the cracking process works - that is, to assume it is possible tow rite a simple reaction equation. That is not correct - stoichiometry of cracking is rather messy and doesn't follow simple equations, overall reaction equation will contain plenty of fractional coefficients - not because it follows some other chemistry rules, but because overall process is a combination of many different parallel reactions going at the same time and competing. Plus, it is not clear if the mole fraction takes into account produced hydrogen or not (if there are alkenes produced, hydrogen must be present between products, yet it is not listed).

I think I could be able to prove each of the answers to be the right one. Futile exercise.
 
Borek said:
To be honest, I have no clue either. The only way to solve is to make some false assumptions about how the cracking process works - that is, to assume it is possible tow rite a simple reaction equation. That is not correct - stoichiometry of cracking is rather messy and doesn't follow simple equations, overall reaction equation will contain plenty of fractional coefficients - not because it follows some other chemistry rules, but because overall process is a combination of many different parallel reactions going at the same time and competing. Plus, it is not clear if the mole fraction takes into account produced hydrogen or not (if there are alkenes produced, hydrogen must be present between products, yet it is not listed).

I think I could be able to prove each of the answers to be the right one. Futile exercise.
Oh I see. Well the answer is B, if it helps any. I've been trying to see how the mole fraction given is used to get that answer.
 
If they think the answer is B they probably mean the cracking goes like

X → methane + 2 ethene + propene

so X contains 1 +2*2+3 = 8 atoms of carbon.

But if the reaction is

X → 2 methane + 3 ethene + propene

X contains 2*1 + 3*2 + 3 = 11 atoms of carbon and the answer is D.
 
Borek said:
If they think the answer is B they probably mean the cracking goes like

X → methane + 2 ethene + propene

so X contains 1 +2*2+3 = 8 atoms of carbon.

But if the reaction is

X → 2 methane + 3 ethene + propene

X contains 2*1 + 3*2 + 3 = 11 atoms of carbon and the answer is D.
Oh...ok. Thanks for your time.