What are the properties of electron gas in the Sun?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
mersecske
Messages
186
Reaction score
0
Hydrogen atoms are in ionised state in the Sun?
So the electrons are in a separate gas state?
If, yes, than what is the main properties of that gas:
temperature, partial pressure, velocity distribution, etc.
Can somebody give me a good reference or answers?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
In the pp I branch 12.86 MeV is kinetic energy?

And in the reaction
D + H -> He + gamma + 5.49 MeV
5.49 MeV is mostly the energy of gamma?
 
and what does it mean
"The proton–proton chain occurs around 9.2×1037
times each second in the core of the Sun."
I don't understand, because the pp chain consists several reaction with different event rate, as I know.
 
In electron positron annihilation in the core of the Sun
the incoming kinetic energy of electrons and positrons are negligible to the outcoming kinetic energy 511keV/gamma?
 
mersecske said:
In the pp I branch 12.86 MeV is kinetic energy?

And in the reaction
D + H -> He + gamma + 5.49 MeV
5.49 MeV is mostly the energy of gamma?

I believe the 12.86 MeV is kinetic energy.
I am unsure of the 5.49 MeV. I'm sure that there is some recoil, but I could see most of that as the energy of the gamma.

mersecske said:
and what does it mean
"The proton–proton chain occurs around 9.2×1037
times each second in the core of the Sun."
I don't understand, because the pp chain consists several reaction with different event rate, as I know.

Looks like they mean that some type of P-P chain occurs at that rate. For each chain there is a certain % chance that it will occur, and multiplying all the percents against the overal events per second will give you the average amount of each chain that occurs per second.

mersecske said:
In electron positron annihilation in the core of the Sun
the incoming kinetic energy of electrons and positrons are negligible to the outcoming kinetic energy 511keV/gamma?

Yes. It is mostly the rest mass that is converted into the energies of the gamma's. But that is only if the kinetic energies of the particles is low. If they were moving at say 1 MeV each, that would be a different story.