What are the quantum numbers for the three lowest degenerate energy states?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 6K views
w3390
Messages
341
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find the quantum numbers of the three lowest states that have the same energy. (Enter the quantum numbers for the three states in increasing order of n1, using the format n1,n2.)

Homework Equations



En1n2=[(hbar)^2/(2m)]*[(pi)^2/(L^2)]*[(n1)^2+(n2)^2]
- Sorry about the formula; I tried entering it using LaTeX but that failed

The Attempt at a Solution



I am confused about how to find the three lowest energy states when I only have two quantum numbers. For example, the question I answered before this wanted the two lowest energy states that were degenerate, so I entered E1,2=E2,1 and it was correct. How am I supposed to come up with three different degenerate levels with only two quantum numbers? Any help would be much appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
here's some tex
[tex]E_{n_1,n_2}=\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\pi^2}{L^2(n_1^2+n_2^2)}[/tex]

so only n1 & n2 change, i would start by listing out some of the energies, or equivalently the first few values fro different copmbinatinos of n1 & n2 & see if anything pops out:
[ext] (n_1^2+n_2^2) [/tex]
 
Last edited:
Kind of a funny question, but you want find a number N that can be written in three different ways, as (n1)^2+(n2)^2, (n2)^2+(n1)^2 where n1 and n2 are different, and as (n3)^2+(n3)^2. From the last one it follows that N is two times a perfect square. So possibilities for N are 2, 8, 18, 32, 50, 72, 98,... One of those works. Can you find it?
 
Okay I understand what you're saying, but at the same time I don't. Will I end up with two combinations that are just opposite and one that is different than the first two.