What are the results of my psychological testing?
- Thread starter Drakkith
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
50 replies · 12K views
Biology news on Phys.org
phion
Gold Member
- 175
- 39
They stabilize my mood; tendency to become agitated, angry, anxious, and depressed to the point of severe interference with everyday functionality.Drakkith said:Do what for you?
zoobyshoe
- 6,514
- 1,255
I have the same diagnosis. The fact you're depressed completely explains your performance on this test, and probably all your difficulties at work.Drakkith said:Actually I suffer from terrible fatigue, lack of energy, and I'm taking an anti-depressant for depression.
Personally, I have taken to joking about how slowly I think and process information compared to others. This doesn't show up on the internet. No one knows if a paragraph took you two minutes or two hours to compose, so you present as alert and energetic whereas in reality it's sometimes like you're stuck in slow motion. You feel heavy, slow, tired: very common in depression.
I was pretty baffled by your problem till you mentioned this diagnosis. Knowing it, I think it explains everything and is what you want to apply your efforts to.
Mentor
- 23,212
- 7,701
zoobyshoe said:I have the same diagnosis. The fact you're depressed completely explains your performance on this test, and probably all your difficulties at work.
I'm not sure I agree, as I've had these issues pretty much my whole life.
Personally, I have taken to joking about how slowly I think and process information compared to others. This doesn't show up on the internet. No one knows if a paragraph took you two minutes or two hours to compose, so you present as alert and energetic whereas in reality it's sometimes like you're stuck in slow motion. You feel heavy, slow, tired: very common in depression.
I don't feel heavy or slow, but I do have "mental fog", which is far worse if I don't take my medication for ADHD for a few days.
I was pretty baffled by your problem till you mentioned this diagnosis. Knowing it, I think it explains everything and is what you want to apply your efforts to.
While I'm sure it adds to the problems, I don't believe that depression is the cause of my symptoms. Personally I think it's the reverse, that the symptoms cause the depression.
zoobyshoe
- 6,514
- 1,255
So, you must have had physical workups. They say they're finding nothing wrong with your bloodwork and all that? The aren't finding any physical cause?Drakkith said:While I'm sure it adds to the problems, I don't believe that depression is the cause of my symptoms. Personally I think it's the reverse, that the symptoms cause the depression.
Mentor
- 29,213
- 4,643
Some of the symptoms Drak listed remind me of a dyslexia (I am not saying it IS dyslexia, I just see some similarities). This can be related to the way he is wired, which IS a physical cause, but not one that will be found by typical examination. AFAIK the only known method at the moment is some kind of MRI scan that can be used to detect atypical brain activity during some visual/auditory tasks, but as of today it is not an approved diagnostic method, rather a research tool.
Science Advisor
- 1,478
- 26
Hi Drakkith
Firstly, I would also like to say, that your contributions to PF are extremely valuable, and I gather from the posts here that you have plenty of respect from other prominent PF members.
Having dealt with a case of mental illness recently myself (not mine, my wife's), I feel I can offer some advice.
1. Consult a psychiatrist (i.e. a doctor - psychologists are usually not doctors). Do what they say. This can (and will probably) include meds.
2. The meds will not fix you completely - but you will hopefully see a massive improvement, which may allow you to tackle whatever other issues you may have.
3. These problems are usually physiological - meaning they have a biological (i.e. chemical) cause. In other words, it's no different to having (say) diabetes or asthma, so you ought not to feel a stigma because of your condition.
4. Draw on other forms of support if you can - for example, other people that suffer from your condition - friends, family...my wife used to hide her condition under great duress, but once she "came out" the outpouring of support was overwhelming...the stigmas surrounding mental illness are less prevalent today than they were 20 years ago.
5. While they mean well, pay no mind to those that downplay the possibility of mental illness. Culturally, we have grown up thinking these things can be "toughed out", but the reality is, these conditions need help - just as people with diabetes etc need help. I too, was in the "tough it out brigade" until my wife's experience.
6. At the end of it all, there is a overwhelming probability that you will lead a normal life.
Good luck Drakkith, hopefully you can get to the bottom of your condition and sort everything out, and of course, continue to be such a fantastic contributor to PF!
Claude.
Firstly, I would also like to say, that your contributions to PF are extremely valuable, and I gather from the posts here that you have plenty of respect from other prominent PF members.
Having dealt with a case of mental illness recently myself (not mine, my wife's), I feel I can offer some advice.
1. Consult a psychiatrist (i.e. a doctor - psychologists are usually not doctors). Do what they say. This can (and will probably) include meds.
2. The meds will not fix you completely - but you will hopefully see a massive improvement, which may allow you to tackle whatever other issues you may have.
3. These problems are usually physiological - meaning they have a biological (i.e. chemical) cause. In other words, it's no different to having (say) diabetes or asthma, so you ought not to feel a stigma because of your condition.
4. Draw on other forms of support if you can - for example, other people that suffer from your condition - friends, family...my wife used to hide her condition under great duress, but once she "came out" the outpouring of support was overwhelming...the stigmas surrounding mental illness are less prevalent today than they were 20 years ago.
5. While they mean well, pay no mind to those that downplay the possibility of mental illness. Culturally, we have grown up thinking these things can be "toughed out", but the reality is, these conditions need help - just as people with diabetes etc need help. I too, was in the "tough it out brigade" until my wife's experience.
6. At the end of it all, there is a overwhelming probability that you will lead a normal life.
Good luck Drakkith, hopefully you can get to the bottom of your condition and sort everything out, and of course, continue to be such a fantastic contributor to PF!
Claude.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
A great post.Claude Bile said:Hi Drakkith
Firstly, I would also like to say, that your contributions to PF are extremely valuable, and I gather from the posts here that you have plenty of respect from other prominent PF members.
Having dealt with a case of mental illness recently myself (not mine, my wife's), I feel I can offer some advice.
1. Consult a psychiatrist (i.e. a doctor - psychologists are usually not doctors). Do what they say. This can (and will probably) include meds.
2. The meds will not fix you completely - but you will hopefully see a massive improvement, which may allow you to tackle whatever other issues you may have.
3. These problems are usually physiological - meaning they have a biological (i.e. chemical) cause. In other words, it's no different to having (say) diabetes or asthma, so you ought not to feel a stigma because of your condition.
4. Draw on other forms of support if you can - for example, other people that suffer from your condition - friends, family...my wife used to hide her condition under great duress, but once she "came out" the outpouring of support was overwhelming...the stigmas surrounding mental illness are less prevalent today than they were 20 years ago.
5. While they mean well, pay no mind to those that downplay the possibility of mental illness. Culturally, we have grown up thinking these things can be "toughed out", but the reality is, these conditions need help - just as people with diabetes etc need help. I too, was in the "tough it out brigade" until my wife's experience.
6. At the end of it all, there is a overwhelming probability that you will lead a normal life.
Good luck Drakkith, hopefully you can get to the bottom of your condition and sort everything out, and of course, continue to be such a fantastic contributor to PF!
Claude.
HayleySarg
Gold Member
- 59
- 9
More warm wishes for you. I am a high functioning person with mental health issues and I know, like the others have mentioned, it cna't be "toughed out." Like chronic pain, it must be managed with diligent and watchful measures that in themselves seem challenging enough.
You can do this. Searching for help and seeing someone about it are the first steps, and often the hardest. It's hard to accept "flaws" or in the strictest sense, weaknesses, in who we are. Now that you know where they are, you can start to repair and manage your life better.
I know some have said exercise, and you said it didn't help. I found that interesting. For me it was some ratio of medicine, diet, exercise, and overall life outlook. By outlook, I mean that I decided to live by a very set schedule when it comes towards sleep and exercise, and I take time to "digest" what I'm feeling and how I'm coping.
Making time for yourself is very important.
Cheers
You can do this. Searching for help and seeing someone about it are the first steps, and often the hardest. It's hard to accept "flaws" or in the strictest sense, weaknesses, in who we are. Now that you know where they are, you can start to repair and manage your life better.
I know some have said exercise, and you said it didn't help. I found that interesting. For me it was some ratio of medicine, diet, exercise, and overall life outlook. By outlook, I mean that I decided to live by a very set schedule when it comes towards sleep and exercise, and I take time to "digest" what I'm feeling and how I'm coping.
Making time for yourself is very important.
Cheers
Mentor
- 23,212
- 7,701
zoobyshoe said:So, you must have had physical workups. They say they're finding nothing wrong with your bloodwork and all that? The aren't finding any physical cause?
Nope, nothing.
Claude Bile said:Good luck Drakkith, hopefully you can get to the bottom of your condition and sort everything out, and of course, continue to be such a fantastic contributor to PF!
Claude.
Thanks!
phion
Gold Member
- 175
- 39
I'd pat you on the back if I could.
Mentor
- 23,212
- 7,701
Just an update: I've been seeing a therapist for a few months and just recently was transferred to a psychologist in the same office. She thinks that I may have expressive language disorder in addition to anything else I may have, such as ADHD, sleep issues, etc.
An example of expressive language disorder:
(She actually does better than I could. My memory and ability to summarize are FAR worse. I'd never be able to summarize a movie like that)
An example of expressive language disorder:
(She actually does better than I could. My memory and ability to summarize are FAR worse. I'd never be able to summarize a movie like that)
Last edited by a moderator:
Mentor
- 23,902
- 11,357
Agreed. I know PF isn't quite the real world, but with a staff of professional scientists and engineers and thousands of people who value the input of said staff, it isn't an accomplishment/job I take lightly. Everyone has their issues and playing to your strengths is how you maximize your potential. Whatever you are doing here, it is working.WWGD said:Maybe you can mention him/her that you were assigned the position of mentor here at PF, which is not given capriciously/randomly. It would seem to counter the results of the test. Just some input.
Mentor
- 23,212
- 7,701
WWGD said:Maybe you can mention him/her that you were assigned the position of mentor here at PF, which
is not given capriciously/randomly. It would seem to counter the results of the test. Just some input.
I disagree. I can take my time when typing up a post, editing it as necessary to get it as right as possible. And even this is typically a long, laborious process that I struggle through. Talking is about an order of magnitude more difficult. To put it in simple words, communication in any form is hard. Talking is even harder.
Similar threads
- DrDu
- · Replies 3 ·
- Biology and Medical
- Replies
- 3
- Delta2
- · Replies 1 ·
- Biology and Medical
- Replies
- 1
- letsfailsafe
- · Replies 12 ·
- Biology and Medical
- Replies
- 12
- sunny79
- · Replies 23 ·
- STEM Academic Advising
- Replies
- 23
- Andre
- · Replies 35 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 35
- jonjacson
- · Replies 2 ·
- Art, History, and Linguistics
- Replies
- 2
- HJ Farnsworth
- · Replies 5 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 5