What are the social and psychological forces driving apocalyptic beliefs?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Andre
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
35 replies · 8K views
ImaLooser said:
In 1969 Frank Zappa predicted a Reagan presidency.

Really?

Btw, I also predicted that Bush would be elected to a third term. But I heard on the radio the other day that Barry is going to pull it off.

I can't get any of my details right.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
When December 22nd comes along, when we're all dead and the world is nothing but a smoking cinder, you all are going to feel pretty silly.
 
I normally just listen to people and their beliefs and leave it at that. People need to believe these things. So if you actually manage to change someone's mind you won't make them happy anyway. They are happy believing what they want to believe.

The same is true of people who have more rational beliefs. When faced with evidence contrary to established beliefs, denial is the next reaction. Whether beliefs are rational or not, as we grow older, everyone is a true believer.

Wasn't it Einstein who said that physics progresses one death at a time?
 
I don't personally know anyone who believes the world will end this year. There was a time a few years back when it was common to hear that the Maya had predicted it would end, but everyone I know has heard by now that 2012 is just the end of a very long cycle of star/planet movements that the Maya happened to notice and decide to keep track of.
 
Andre said:
Still I believe there is a gradual scale between passionate preaching prophets with a holy mission, strong convinced believers, just believers because friends believe it and doubters who don't speak up preventing damage to their network. It's that social mechanism that I wanted to browse and understand.

I once could convince somebody that there are no chemtrails. So all is not lost.
Great signature Andre, and apropos.