What are the shape of nucleons and quarks?

In summary, quarks are pointlike particles that form nucleons from trios. However, theshape of a nucleon is not determined by the shape of the quarks, but by the effects the quarks have on other particles.
eehiram
When one of the quarks was discovered, I was in high school, and I said quarks are not spherical balls of mass. How could nucleons also be spheres if 3 quarks make up a nucleon?! I said atomic and subatomic particles have a poorly defined shape and something of a lack of material substance.

However, for beginners, the quarks and nucleons are pictured as little spherical balls.

Was I right?

o| Hiram

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

quarks are definitely pointlike particles. No spatial extension for quarks has been seen at the resolutions we can achieve. This is not in contradiction with the fact that protons (or nucleons, or hadrons) have a finite size. Consider for instance atoms. Their size is given by the size of their electron cloud. This cloud is made up of electrons, and electrons are pointlike.

In both cases, the pointlike particles have spatial distributions corresponding to the shapes of the bound-states they form.

Bravo for using "pointlike" instead of "point".

I'm familiar with your comparison to atoms and electron clouds

but I would like to read something specifically about quarks. How do they form spherical nucleons from trios of quarks? Thank you in advance for your patience with me; I don't expect a book long answer, as I know I would need to read about quarks in a book to get a full response.

o| Hiram

Interesting... so is photon a particle or a wave? what about for an electron? Your question seems innocent enough, simple and perhaps intuitive... however, your question may not be the 'right' question to ask about quarks (?)

We know that there are THREE quarks for baryons (and TWO for mesons), not because we directly "see" three/two things in experiments, but we can infer that from the effects the target proton causes in an high energy collision experiments (if our experiments were correct, and we believe in the physics as we know it) OK, to cut a long story short (which I am not qualify to tell anyway), it turns out that things are only consistent in these scattering experiments if we assume nucleons are made up of 3 "things" which we called quarks. Now, the accelerators we have today (or even the LHC) do not produce collision with high enough energy that can break quarks down further and hence we believe they are fundamental and perhaps infinitestimally small, ... err.. structureless is probably the better word for it. By the way, there is also a experimental upper bound on their radius, which is very tiny as you may guess... hence we like to refer to them as point-like.

A related issue is of course coming from QM and about the "fuzziness" nature of stuff. like the good old electron cloud. In that spirit alone, it may render your question meaningless.

perhaps, it is our nature to prefer a nice geometric description of things that brings about the concepts of
the Earth is a perfect sphere, NH_3 molecules form exact tetrahedrons,

at the end of the day though they are approximations. If the approximation is very close to being exact, that's great! But there is no guarantee that the same concepts will prevail at the sub-atomic level. We can have a "mathematical" description of them to aid our analysis and perhaps to formalise them. But it is often difficult to visualise them (although more experimental data will help).

The moral of all these is that (and to answer your question) don't take that picture of spherical quarks/nucleans too seriously. As fas as we know and what we can infer, quarks are extremely small, so small that it is meaningless to talk about its shape. As for nucleons, they certainly are composite objects with an effective radius. Now, you may ask how can three infinitestimally small objects combine to give an "extended" object? Hehehehee...
well, to be honest I don't really know the correct answer to that, but I would say, if you have three dots closely packed together but not overlapping in such a way that you only see one dot all the time when you are close-by, then if you move away from it, it looks like one "big" dot... your nucleon.
(perhaps someone can correct or add to this, also not sure whether gluons play a role in this for we know that energy and mass are the essentially the same at relativistic energy)

Anyway, should the nucleon then regarded as spherical? triangular? tetrahedral? oval? I guess the natural choice would be spherical for symmetry reasons and perhaps easier to model its scattering behaviors (ie. billard balls analogy) But then of course nucleons also have different spin/excited states which are modeled by "the Shell model", now I am not sure whether under those situation "the effective shape" of the nucleon can change (like the way the electron cloud changes)... . but then again, we are quite comfortable with the idea of atoms being "spherical" despite the fact that electron orbitals can take on different "shapes".

comments welcomed

Likes Naeem Anwar
In classical textbooks you will read that nucleons are spherical. This is a natural (first) hypothesis, and it turns out that most of the data is consistent with it. Only recently do we have theoretical arsenal powerful enough to explore more complicated hypothesis. Over the past decade, new (quantum) operators have been intensively studied, corresponding to "generalized parton distributions". Those objects allow us to measure the actual shapes of hadrons, starting from the fundamental degrees of freedom (quarks and gluons). However, the experimental side is very challenging, and data constraining the theory begins to appear right now. This was the subject of my PhD, which I recently completed.

To come back to your question "how pointlike object can bound into a finite size state ?" : we must be careful with classical analogies. Making rigourous mathematical statements is a delicate matter. Mechanical models, with three (valence) quarks bounds by (gluons) spring are too simplistic. The wavefunction of the nucleon is a tower of many multiparticle states. It so happens that gluons can split into quark-antiquark pairs. In hadronic degrees of freedom, those constitute the mesonic content of baryons (like pions for instance, pairs of u and d-like (anti)quarks). All these animals are extremely relativistic in the hadronic bound state. They move at very high speeds (on the light cone), and what you see depends on the scale of your observation. Overall, one describes this fauna by the distributions one observes. If those distributions are spherical, they make-up a spherical object.

I'm not sure you'll be satisfied by those arguments. I'll think about it, and hope somebody can help in finding a more sound one.

If a nucleon has a spin axis, one supposes that it's not likely to be as symmetrical as a sphere.

But ignoring that, I don't think that there's anything barring a nucleon made up of three quarks from being spherical. I'm guessing that the original poser's intuition was based on the assumption of a Pauli exclusion principle preventing the three quarks from being in the same position. However, the three quarks have different color, so the PEP doesn't apply. So there should be an "S" state available:

[tex]\psi(r_R,r_G,r_B) = e^{-(r_R+r_G+r_B)}[/tex]

CarlB said:
If a nucleon has a spin axis, one supposes that it's not likely to be as symmetrical as a sphere.
Indeed, it is very interesting to see the distributions of (polarized) quarks in a (polarized) nucleon. Details can be found for instance in GPD's and Ssa's.

mjsd said:
Interesting... so is photon a particle or a wave? what about for an electron?

They are quantum-mechanical objects that have both particle-like and wave-like characteristics. This applies to both electrons and photons.

thanks, people

Your replies definitely cleared things up, especially humanino's, whose was the most interesting and difficult.

Back when the last quark was discovered, I had a big argument with my classmates about how quarks were not just little balls that "somehow" summed up to a larger ball. I guess I win, partially, in retrospect, although I could not tell them what quarks and nucleons actually looked like either; hence the merely partial victory.

o| Hiram

As another related question. We know that two fermions cannot be in the same place at the same time. Apart from this, is there any difference between two fermions in their geometric "shape", or are they indistinguishable?

Not all fermions, identical fermions (i.e of same kind) can't occupy the same STATE. i.e not place, but quantum state. Further, there are many kinds of fermions, you can't apply the pauli principle to electrons and muons, but only between electrons and electrons etc.
Also fermions of each kind is indistinguishable from each other plus that elementary fermions (leptons and quarks) don't have a geometric structure at all. Composite fermions like nucleons, have some kind of structure altough, but you can't say "hey, that's my proton#2 and that one is proton #4".

Hello,

My first post here. Cheers all.

Regarding the shape of the nucleons / quarks - I think the best way to describe them would be by distributions. Clouds of energy that dissipate exponentially in space - which also tell us the probability of finding these particles in space. Thus, when you have a number of them together, they form a complex distribution seeking a minimum energy state allowed by the exclusion principle, coloumb attraction etc.

As to the fermions, two fermions of the same kind are indistinguishable.

Smoochie

Just because something is indiscernible does not mean it is identical.

Riogho said:
Just because something is indiscernible does not mean it is identical.

explain furter. You don't agree that identical particles exists?

Leibniz's Principle of the Identity of Indiscernibles which, expressed crudely, insists that two things which are indiscernible, must be, in fact, identical.

I have a problem with that based on three properties of his principle, a few of which can be countered easily:

A) states that it is not possible for two individuals to possesses all properties and relations in common; the next strongest

B) excludes spatio-temporal properties from this description; and the strongest form

C) includes only monadic, non-relational properties.

For example C is the claim that no two individuals can possesses all the same monadic properties.

Both, B and C are clearly violated in 'classical' physics. where distinct particles of the same kind are typically regarded as indistinguishable in the sense of possessing all intrinsic properties in common and such properties are regarded as non-relational in general and non-spatio-temporal in particular.

However, A is not violated classically, since classical statistical mechanics typically assumes that such particles are impenetrable, in precisely the sense that their spatio-temporal trajectories cannot overlap. Hence they can be individuated via their spatio-temporal properties, as indicated above.

The situation appears to be very different in quantum mechanics, however. If the particles are taken to possesses both their intrinsic and state-dependent properties in common, as suggested above, then there is a sense in which even the weakest form of the Principle, A fails.
On this understanding, the Principle of Identity of Indiscernibles is actually false. Hence it cannot be used to effectively guarantee individuation via the state-dependent properties by analogy with the classical case. If one wishes to maintain that quantum particles are individuals, then their individuality will have to be taken as conferred by Lockean substance, primitive thisness or, in general, some form of non-qualitative haecceistic difference.

Philosophical arguments does not belong when discussing modern physics kid. Sorry to say this, but you should know that the language and logic of physics is mathemathics.

Also perhaps look at the definition of identical particles in QM, and you'll see that these concepts arises from the formalism of QM and and has been proven correct.

malawi_glenn said:
Not all fermions, identical fermions (i.e of same kind) can't occupy the same STATE. i.e not place, but quantum state. Further, there are many kinds of fermions, you can't apply the pauli principle to electrons and muons, but only between electrons and electrons etc.Also fermions of each kind is indistinguishable from each other plus that elementary fermions (leptons and quarks) don't have a geometric structure at all. Composite fermions like nucleons, have some kind of structure altough, but you can't say "hey, that's my proton#2 and that one is proton #4".
Wasn't that between bound particles, that Pauli's exclusion can be applied and re-applied. Correct me if I am mistaken!

mjsd said:
.. . but then again, we are quite comfortable with the idea of atoms being "spherical" despite the fact that electron orbitals can take on different "shapes".

comments welcomed
I thought that was very well summarized - paths of 2 pi times r need not be circular. Funny thing is you hardly ever find rounded molecules in nature, and nothing ever shears off with its edges rounded, believing one would find things taking their paths of least resistance, but physicists hardly ever find that bizzare!. Gold nuggets anyone?

basePARTICLE said:
Wasn't that between bound particles, that Pauli's exclusion can be applied and re-applied. Correct me if I am mistaken!

I don't know what you are protesting about, he only said that the Pauli principle is for identical fermions, i.e only bewteen electrons and electrons, muons and muons etc.

Amazing! I am only a carpenter but am fascinated with quantum physics. As I read your brilliant analysis' I become more infatuated with the things that are unseen and how they make up the things that are seen. My question is when something decays or dies what happens to the quarks? Do they dissipate or do they continue? I appoligize for my simplicity and ask for you patience in answering these questions.

Particle decay is mediated by the Weak Force through these particles (These particles are called bosons because they "prefer" to occupy the quantum same state, hence they obey Bose-Einstein Statistics : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bose%E2%80%93Einstein_statistics): W+, W- and the Z0.

When they interact with fermions (particles that obey Fermi-Dirac Statistics : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi–Dirac_statistics and they follow the Pauli-Exclusion Principle which means that only one fermion can occupy the same quantum state: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauli_exclusion_principle) such as Quarks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark), Leptons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leptons), and most of the Bosons (the Bosons don't obey Fermi-Dirac Statistics though) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boson).

In terms of Quark, Hadron or Meson decay you can say that the particles for instance in a pion ([tex]\pi[/tex]+) which is composed of a up quark and anti "down" quark do dissipate into other particles such as a Muon and Mu Neutrino: [tex]\pi[/tex]+ [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] [tex]\mu[/tex]+ + [tex]\nu[/tex][tex]\mu[/tex].

These decay processes have to follow symmetry and conservation rules such as, mass conservation, charge conservation and various others: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_law.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is incredible! Thank you so much for that useful information. It brings a whole new light to my studies.

Yet, if the subatomic event is only point-like in what sense does it spin? Is this just a metaphor to explain the different interactions that are possible between these data points as we try to explain light with packets of energy and waves at the same time? Perhaps the "background radiation" is a bit more interactive with the subatomic particles than we think and our various descriptions of particles are more akin to the moving bodies on our TV screens than the stabile, distinct, separated "things" we find so easy to imagine.

zapher134 said:
Yet, if the subatomic event is only point-like in what sense does it spin? Is this just a metaphor to explain the different interactions that are possible between these data points as we try to explain light with packets of energy and waves at the same time? Perhaps the "background radiation" is a bit more interactive with the subatomic particles than we think and our various descriptions of particles are more akin to the moving bodies on our TV screens than the stabile, distinct, separated "things" we find so easy to imagine.

What?

The nucleon is spherical by necessity. It is a spin 1/2 object and therefore cannot have a quadrupole moment.

Drakkith said:
What?

Stephan Hawkin et al claim black holes preserve both mass and angular momentum, ie spin. Are we talking about angular momentum for a pointlike quark or something more like the colors used to describe subatomic particles that could have no real color? Also, considering E=mc2 how much sense does it make to consider these subatomic particles matter rather than energy than they more closely seem to emulate?

zapher134 said:
Stephan Hawkin et al claim black holes preserve both mass and angular momentum, ie spin. Are we talking about angular momentum for a pointlike quark or something more like the colors used to describe subatomic particles that could have no real color? Also, considering E=mc2 how much sense does it make to consider these subatomic particles matter rather than energy than they more closely seem to emulate?

All angular momentum? And I don't know what color has to do with this.

Makes as much sense to describe them as particles as it does to describe electrons, protons, and neutrons as particles.

What are the shape of nucleons and quarks?

The shape of nucleons and quarks is a commonly debated topic in the field of particle physics. Here are the answers to the 5 most frequently asked questions about their shape.

1. Are nucleons and quarks considered to have a definite shape?

No, nucleons and quarks are not considered to have a definite shape in the traditional sense. They are subatomic particles that are much smaller than an atom, and their size and shape are constantly changing due to their quantum nature.

2. What is the current understanding of the shape of nucleons and quarks?

According to the Standard Model of particle physics, nucleons (protons and neutrons) are composed of three quarks, which are point-like particles with no discernible shape. However, some theories propose that quarks may have an internal structure, but this is still a subject of ongoing research and debate.

3. How do scientists study the shape of nucleons and quarks?

Scientists use a variety of experimental techniques, such as high-energy particle accelerators, to study the properties of subatomic particles. By colliding particles at high speeds, scientists can observe how they interact and infer their shape and other characteristics.

4. Do the shape and size of nucleons and quarks affect their behavior?

Yes, the shape and size of nucleons and quarks play a significant role in their behavior and interactions with other particles. For example, the shape of a nucleon affects how it interacts with other nucleons, and the size of a quark can determine its mass and the strength of its interactions.

5. Can new discoveries change our current understanding of the shape of nucleons and quarks?

Absolutely. As technology advances and new experimental techniques become available, scientists may be able to gather more precise data and make new discoveries about the shape and structure of subatomic particles. This could potentially lead to revisions and advancements in our current understanding of nucleons and quarks.