What are the singular values of a matrix multiplied by the identity matrix?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
azdang
Messages
80
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Let A be a real mxn matrix, m>=n, with singular values [tex]\sigma[/tex]j.Show that the singular values of ([tex]\stackrel{I_{n}}{A}[/tex]) are equal to [tex]\sqrt{1+\sigma_j^2}[/tex].


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I know that an SVD for A is A = U([tex]\stackrel{\Sigma}{0}[/tex])v^T and so, the singular values of A are [tex]\sigma_j[/tex]. I have no idea how to break this down. I assume I want to look at an SVD for ([tex]\stackrel{I_n}{A}[/tex]), but I don't know how to figure out that the singular values would be [tex]\sqrt{1+\sigma_j^2}[/tex]. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks so much.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Also, sorry, I'm having a hard time figuring out how to have it typeset correctly to show you guys what's going on.
 
Don't use the html tags and inside LaTex. Use _ for subscripts and ^ for superscripts.