What are the solutions for e^z = 1 and e^z = 1 + i?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter racland
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
racland
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Complex Analysis:
Find all solutions of:
(a) e^z = 1
(b) e^z = 1 + i
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How fascinating!
We are all desirous to see what you have done so far! :smile:
 
So far I got:
e^z = 1
I know e^z = e^x (cos y + i Sin y)
Then,
e^x cos y = 1
e^x sin y = 0
I know that for sin y = 0, y = 2 pi * K, where k is an integer.
After this step I'm stuck!

The second problem: e^z = 1 + i
e^x cos y = 1
e^x sin y = 1
I order for sin y = 1, y = pi/2. Now what...
 
racland said:
So far I got:
e^z = 1
I know e^z = e^x (cos y + i Sin y)
Then,
e^x cos y = 1
e^x sin y = 0
I know that for sin y = 0, y = 2 pi * K, where k is an integer.
After this step I'm stuck!
Actually y= [itex]\pi K[/itex], since [itex]sin(\pi)= 0[/itex] also. Now, what values can cos y have? And then what is ex?


The second problem: e^z = 1 + i
e^x cos y = 1
e^x sin y = 1
I order for sin y = 1, y = pi/2. Now what...
No, exsin y= 1 does NOT tell you that sin y= 1! You might try this: square each equation and add. That will get rid of y so you can find ex (you don't really need to find x itself).