Branching Point at z=0 in f(z)=z^(1/2)

• Thread starter LagrangeEuler
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the function ##f(z)=z^{\frac{1}{2}}## has a branching point at ##z=0## because the argument of the function, ##\frac{\varphi}{2}+n\pi##, can take on different values depending on the value of ##n##, leading to multiple possible values for ##z^{\frac{1}{2}}## at ##z=0##. This is known as a multivalued function and is common for functions with complex inputs. The branching point at ##z=0## is specifically problematic because it is the only point where the function exhibits this behavior.
LagrangeEuler
##f(z)=z^{\frac{1}{2}}## has brancing point at ##z=0##.
##z=re^{i\varphi}=re^{i(\varphi+2n\pi)}##
From that
[tex]z^{\frac{1}{2}}=r^{\frac{1}{2}}e^{i (\frac{\varphi}{2}+n\pi)}[/tex]
For ##n=0##, ##z^{\frac{1}{2}}=e^{i \frac{\varphi}{2}}##
For ##n=1##, ##z^{\frac{1}{2}}=e^{i (\frac{\varphi}{2}+\pi)}=-e^{i \frac{\varphi}{2}}##
For ##n=2##, ##z^{\frac{1}{2}}=e^{i \frac{\varphi}{2}}##
For ##n=3##, ##z^{\frac{1}{2}}=e^{i( \frac{\varphi}{2}+\pi)}=-e^{i \frac{\varphi}{2}}##
For ##n=4##, ##z^{\frac{1}{2}}=e^{i \frac{\varphi}{2}}##
##...##
I see that this is multivalued function, but I am not sure why only problem or why only ##z=0## is branching point? Could you please explain me this?

Physics news on Phys.org

What is the branching point at z=0 in f(z)=z^(1/2)?

The branching point at z=0 in f(z)=z^(1/2) is the value of z where the function becomes discontinuous. In other words, it is the value of z where the function changes from having one complex root to having two complex roots.

Why is the branching point at z=0 important?

The branching point at z=0 is important because it marks the point at which the function f(z)=z^(1/2) becomes multi-valued. This means that for any value of z greater than 0, there are two possible values for f(z). It also has implications for the behavior of the function in the complex plane.

How do you determine the branching point at z=0 in f(z)=z^(1/2)?

The branching point at z=0 can be determined by setting z=0 in the function f(z)=z^(1/2) and solving for f(0). This will give the value at which the function becomes discontinuous and therefore the branching point.

What is the significance of the square root function in f(z)=z^(1/2)?

The square root function in f(z)=z^(1/2) is significant because it is a common function used in mathematical and scientific calculations. It is also a fundamental function in complex analysis and has many applications in physics and engineering.

What is the relationship between the branching point at z=0 and the complex plane?

The branching point at z=0 is related to the complex plane because it marks the point at which the function f(z)=z^(1/2) becomes multi-valued. This means that the function behaves differently in different regions of the complex plane, and the branching point is an important boundary between these regions.