1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the tensions in the strings?

1. Oct 19, 2006 #1
    AB is a uniform bar of length 5m and weighs 60N. It is supported in a horizontal position by two vertical strings P and Q. P is 0.5m from A and Q is 1.5m from B.

(a) What are the tensions in the strings? (Ans= 20N and 40N)

(b) What weight must be applied to A if the tensions in the strings are to be equal? (Ans= 15N)

(c) What is the biggest mass which can be hung from B if the bar is to remain horizontal? (Ans= 4.1kg)

My teacher gave us the answers to these questions. I have gotten part (a), but I truly am lost with (b) and (c). For some reason I keep getting (b) to be 0N... I would really appreciate any help and explanations. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Show us how you trying to solve (b) and we can see what's going on.

4. Oct 19, 2006 #3
    Ok... I'm just working based on the only example my teacher gave us, which is as far from this problem as possible, but here it goes. This time I got 58N, uh.

F*5 - (60*2.5) - (40*3.5) = 0
    5F - 150 -140 = 0
    5F = 140+150
    5F = 290
    F = 58

5. Oct 19, 2006 #4
    Well, now I was just trying something and got 15N but I have no idea if this is the way to do it. I considered the tension to be 30N.

5*F = 30 * 2.5
    5F = 75
    F = 15

6. Oct 19, 2006 #5

radou

Homework Helper

Regarding (b). The first equation is the sum of moments around B. This will give you an equation with two unknowns - F and P, where P is the tension in the strings. The second equation is the equation of equilibrium of all vertical forces. This equation will give another equation with two unknowns - F and P. Now all you have to do is solve this system of 2 equations with 2 unknowns, i.e. elliminate P from the first equation to obtain F. I got the right answer, so this should work.

7. Oct 19, 2006 #6

Doc Al

To solve (b), start by identifying all the forces acting on the bar (including the unknown weight, F). Hint: I count four forces.

Then you will apply the conditions for equilibrium:
    (1) Sum of the forces must equal zero.
    (2) Sum of the torques (about any point) must equal zero.

8. Oct 19, 2006 #7
    Um... I tried what I thought you were telling me to do, and I got 30N.

120 -3P + 0.5F
    60 -2P + F

240 -6P + F
    180 -6P + 3F

60 = 2F
    F = 30N

What went wrong?

9. Oct 19, 2006 #8

Doc Al

I don't understand where this comes from. I assume P = tension; F = added weight?

I assume you mean:
    60 -2P + F = 0

That's good.

Now find the torques about point B to get a second equation.

10. Oct 19, 2006 #9
    Wow I got it after all... thanks! I'll try (c) now... can I still post in this thread for help on that one?

11. Oct 19, 2006 #10

Doc Al

Of course!

12. Oct 19, 2006 #11
    Do I take a similar approach as I did with (b)? And do I treat the tension in the strings as equal forces?

13. Oct 19, 2006 #12

Doc Al

You will use the same general principles that I outlined in post #6.
    Absolutely not! That's part of the trick with this question--how will you know if the bar remains level? Try to picture what's going on as you load extra weight on the bar.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?