What are the top undergraduate physics colleges in the US and Canada?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
Sidvlpr
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
what are the top public universities for undergraduate physics.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "top"? Top in the league tables? If you believe in league tables, did you try searching for them?
 
Sidvlpr said:
what are the top public universities for undergraduate physics.
In which nation?
 
Astronuc said:
In which nation?

I'm pretty sure he's assuming the US.
 
Well there are very few undergraduate rankings, but I have always thought that grad school rankings are a reasonable proxy given that they indicate the community's regard for the school and research activity.

From US News and World Report ranking of top physics schools (private schools excluded)

1. Berkeley
2. Illinois - Urbana-Champaign
3. UC Santa Barbara
4. Michigan - Anne Arbor
6. UC San Diego = Maryland - College Park = Texas - Austin
9. Wisconsin - Madison
10. UCLA = Colorado - Boulder = Washington
11. Ohio State = Penn State = Stony Brookhttp://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...-schools/top-science-schools/physics-rankings
 
Why would you care for an undergraduate ranking in Physics?

Don't you think graduate school matters more than undergraduate in physics? If your research is good enough and GPA, PGRE, more than likely you will get into most competitive schools (my assumption from what I have been reading recently).

But I'd like to hear others who know a few things here, does undergrad. even matter (physics)? (Of course, I and assuming the OP aren't going to any hole in the wall schools that are sketchy and in the top 50)