What are the top undergraduate textbook in Classical Mechanics?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 7K views
shinobi20
Messages
277
Reaction score
20
I currently have Classical Mechanics by Douglas Gregory. I found that there are a lot of errors in his text mostly in Chapter 6 (Energy Conservation). Before I read some parts of Classical Mechanics by John Taylor but felt that he is too verbose that is why I have tried to scan other text. Any more recommendations?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Introductory freshman level : Feynman, AP French

Newtonian Mechanics : Kleppner & Kolenkow

Analytical Mechanics : Goldstein (2nd edition is better)

Nice Problem Book : David Morin text, YK Lim, Sidney B Cahn
 
I want to know if anyone knows some errata or compiled errors in the book of Gregory?
 
I've never even heard of that book. If it's full of errors like you said, then probably, you'd better use another book, written by an author who cares enough to not Publish things ridden with errors.
 
I think two of the best books is the one by Scheck (vol. 1 of his lectures on theoretical physics) and the one by Kuypers. I'm pretty sure there exists an English translation of Scheck's, but not whether there's one for Kuypers's.
 
My teacher only recommends two: Goldstein and Landau, but I prefer Goldstein's. It has everything you need to know and much more, and it's worth it if you have the patience and time to read the text. Or else just scroll to the important parts.
 
Looking at my bookshelf, I am seeing a number of books that have not been mentioned.

Undergraduate level:
Marion, now Marion and Thorndike
Becker (old, but very insightful)
Baierlein
Barger and Olson

Graduate:
Moore

Now, I will say, that during my school career, I used Marion for under grad and Moore for graduate, neither instructor was very good, so I had to fill in the gaps and learn it using other books. When I went back for my PhD, I used Goldstein, still didn't have a really good instructor, so really had to fill in the gaps. I will say that the Schaum's outline is pretty good, light on theory but heavy on good problems.