1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the top undergraduate textbook in Classical Mechanics?

1. May 29, 2014 #1
    I currently have Classical Mechanics by Douglas Gregory. I found that there are a lot of errors in his text mostly in Chapter 6 (Energy Conservation). Before I read some parts of Classical Mechanics by John Taylor but felt that he is too verbose that is why I have tried to scan other text. Any more recommendations?

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2014 #2
    Introductory freshman level : Feynman, AP French

Newtonian Mechanics : Kleppner & Kolenkow

Analytical Mechanics : Goldstein (2nd edition is better)

Nice Problem Book : David Morin text, YK Lim, Sidney B Cahn

4. May 29, 2014 #3
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. May 30, 2014 #4
    I want to know if anyone knows some errata or compiled errors in the book of Gregory?

6. May 30, 2014 #5
    I've never even heard of that book. If it's full of errors like you said, then probably, you'd better use another book, written by an author who cares enough to not Publish things ridden with errors.

7. May 30, 2014 #6

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I think two of the best books is the one by Scheck (vol. 1 of his lectures on theoretical physics) and the one by Kuypers. I'm pretty sure there exists an English translation of Scheck's, but not whether there's one for Kuypers's.

8. May 31, 2014 #7
  9. May 31, 2014 #8
    My teacher only recommends two: Goldstein and Landau, but I prefer Goldstein's. It has everything you need to know and much more, and it's worth it if you have the patience and time to read the text. Or else just scroll to the important parts.

10. Jun 1, 2014 #9

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looking at my bookshelf, I am seeing a number of books that have not been mentioned.

Undergraduate level:
    Marion, now Marion and Thorndike
    Becker (old, but very insightful)
    Baierlein
    Barger and Olson

Graduate:
    Moore

Now, I will say, that during my school career, I used Marion for under grad and Moore for graduate, neither instructor was very good, so I had to fill in the gaps and learn it using other books. When I went back for my PhD, I used Goldstein, still didn't have a really good instructor, so really had to fill in the gaps. I will say that the Schaum's outline is pretty good, light on theory but heavy on good problems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted