What are the underlying principles of hydrophobicity at the molecular level?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter dipole
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Physics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
dipole
Messages
553
Reaction score
149
Hi, I'm looking for a good reference on the physics of hydrophobicity on the level of molecules. I'm specifically interested in amino acids, but I'd prefer a more general discussion.

The wiki articles are pretty slim, so hoping someone here might have a better resource. Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I found this article cited by the wiki: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ed075p116

which has a reference to this one: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/ed066p581

The basic message I took from the above is that hydrophobic interactions are mostly driven by entropic processes - i.e. the "TΔS" term in the Gibbs free energy. I stopped at this point, but it would be cool to see a more in-depth discussion, and one which is written perhaps from a more statistical mechanics point of view rather than just pure thermodynamics and some handwaving.