Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the units of Kp, (Gas phase equilibrium)

Tags:
  1. Oct 10, 2016 #1
    I know the units of Kc are mol/liter. The units of Kp are either mol/atm or just atm. Not really sure. I get mles atm and liters in my answer when i solve. Pretty weird

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2016 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

4. Oct 10, 2016 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Actually Kp (and Kc) have no units.

Note, that you will get different units for different reactions, depending on the set of coefficients used. Try

2A ↔ B
    A ↔ B

and

A ↔ 2B

and you will see what I mean.

That's when you try to express K using pressures or concentrations, but - what is often omitted in an approximate treatment used when teaching beginners - K is expressed using activities. As a first approximation activity is equal to the concentration (or pressure), but it can differ. We express it with

aA = γA[A]

where aA is activity of A, γA is its activity coefficient (with units chosen so that the activity becomes unitles) and [A] is the A concentration (but it could be pA, partial pressure of A, as well). For diluted solutions γ equals 1, but the higher the concentration, the more it can differ.

Also note that having units on K is a sure way of getting into problems. In thermodynamics we often need to calculate log of K (as in ΔG=RTln(K)) , good luck doing that when K is not unitles.

Edit: beaten by DrClaude.

5. Oct 16, 2016 #4

James Pelezo

Gold Member

When is Kp = Kc?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted