What Are the Values of a for Which the Given Function is Continuous at x=0?

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter Yankel
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Continuous Function
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Yankel
Messages
390
Reaction score
0
Hello

I need some help with this question please:

For which values of a the next function is continuous at x=0 ?

[tex]\left\{\begin{matrix} x^{a}\cdot sin\frac{1}{x} & x\neq 0\\ 0 & x=0 \end{matrix}\right.[/tex]

I know that for it to be continuous at x=0, I need f(0)=lim x-->0

So I tried calculating the limit, and got to:

[tex]\lim_{x\to0}x^{a-1}\cdot sin\frac{1}{x}\cdot x[/tex]not sure I am correct, but anyhow do not know how to proceed. What I tried to do was to bring the limit to a known form
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I would think about the squeeze theorem, and the fact that $-1\le \sin(x)\le 1\;\forall\,x$.