What are the values of the remaining stamps?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
jaqueh
Messages
57
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


There are exactly 33 postage amounts that cannot be made up using these stamps, including 46 cents. What are the values of the remaining stamps?

Homework Equations


stamp 1 = x
stamp 2 = y
Im assuming postage amounts range from 1 to 100 cents

The Attempt at a Solution


ax+by=46 has a negative solution obviously. So either a or b < 0. I cannot get any farther than that.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I take it there are only two stamp values.
Can you say anything about common factors of x and y?
Can you then determine the max value that cannot be made from them?
 
jaqueh said:

Homework Statement


There are exactly 33 postage amounts that cannot be made up using these stamps, including 46 cents. What are the values of the remaining stamps?
I find this ambiguous. Is one of the stamps 46 cents or is one of the "postage amounts that cannot be made up" 46 cents?

Homework Equations


stamp 1 = x
stamp 2 = y
Im assuming postage amounts range from 1 to 100 cents

The Attempt at a Solution


ax+by=46 has a negative solution obviously. So either a or b < 0. I cannot get any farther than that.[/QUOTE]
 
HallsofIvy said:
I find this ambiguous. Is one of the stamps 46 cents or is one of the "postage amounts that cannot be made up" 46 cents?
Having solved it on the assumption that it means 46c cannot be made up, I'm pretty sure that's what is intended.