What Are the Wavenumbers for the First Three Rotational Transitions of CO?

  • Topic: Chemistry 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Klestine
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Spectroscopy
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Klestine
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The bond length of CO is 1.128 Å. At what wavenumbers do the first three rotational transitions appear


Homework Equations


μ= (m1m2/m1+m2)
I = μr0^2
B= h/(8∏^2)IbC
ΔE = 2B (J+1)


The Attempt at a Solution



For the first equation I got

(12 x 16) / 28 = [(6.857 /1000)/ avagadro number] = 1.138 x 10^-26

For the second equation I got

(1.138 x 10^-26) x (1.128 x 10^-10)^2 = 1.44 x 10^-46 kg/m^2

For the third equation I got

planck's constant / [(8∏^2) x (1.44 x 10^-46 ) x (speed of light)] = 1.93cm^-1



I honestly don't know what to do after this please help
really appreciated and thank you very much
 
Physics news on Phys.org
DrClaude said:
You're doing fine. What about the fourth equation you listed?

Thats the problem, I know the answer is in that equation but I just do not know how to use it to get the values for the first 3 rotational energy levels. Just don't know to tackle that equation.Thanx for the reply