What is the wavelength of the radiation emitted at transition 3?

In summary, the question asks for the wavelength of the radiation emitted at transition 3 in an energy-state-diagram for an atom with three energy states. The wavelengths for transitions 1 and 2 are given as 2.56 \cdot 10^{-8} m and 3.04 \cdot 10^{-8} m, respectively. To find the wavelength for transition 3, the energies of the two transitions are first calculated by converting the wavelengths to energy, subtracting the energies, and then converting the answer back to a wavelength. This results in a wavelength of 162 nm.
mstud

Homework Statement

The figure (see attachment) shows part of a energy-state-diagram for an atom. Three energy states are included. At energy transition 1 & 2 the atom emit radiation with the wavelengths of [itex]2.56 \cdot 10^{-8} m[/itex] and [itex]3.04 \cdot 10^{-8} m[/itex], respectively.

Find the wavelength for the radiation which is emitted at transition 3.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to take wavelength 1 minus wavelength 2, but this gave a completely wrong answer.

I got 4.8 nm. But the answer should be 162 nm.

How shall I then solve it? Does it make any difference to calculate the energy of the two transitions and find the difference between them, or will that give me the same weird answer?

ANY ideas?

Thanks

Attachments

• 3.322.jpg
    3.322.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 337
Physics news on Phys.org
mstud said:

Homework Statement

The figure (see attachment) shows part of a energy-state-diagram for an atom. Three energy states are included. At energy transition 1 & 2 the atom emit radiation with the wavelengths of [itex]2.56 \cdot 10^{-8} m[/itex] and [itex]3.04 \cdot 10^{-8} m[/itex], respectively.

Find the wavelength for the radiation which is emitted at transition 3.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to take wavelength 1 minus wavelength 2, but this gave a completely wrong answer.

I got 4.8 nm. But the answer should be 162 nm.

How shall I then solve it? Does it make any difference to calculate the energy of the two transitions and find the difference between them, or will that give me the same weird answer?

ANY ideas?

Thanks

You can only subtract energy - the difference between energy levels.

You need to convert the wavelengths to energy, subtract the energies, then convert the answer back to a wavelength

Thought of doing so but I didn't know if it was the right way.

Thank you , know I both got the right answer and know how to do it next time ...

1. What is radiation?

Radiation is a form of energy that is transmitted through space or matter in the form of waves or particles. It can come from various sources, including the sun, nuclear reactions, and electronic devices.

2. How is radiation measured?

Radiation is measured in units of energy per unit of time, such as joules per second or watts. The amount of radiation emitted by a source is also measured in terms of its intensity, which is the amount of energy transmitted per unit of time and area.

3. What are the different types of radiation?

There are several types of radiation, including electromagnetic radiation (such as gamma rays, X-rays, and ultraviolet light) and particle radiation (such as alpha, beta, and neutron particles). Each type has different properties and effects on matter.

4. What are the energy states of radiation?

The energy states of radiation refer to the different levels of energy that radiation can possess. These levels are determined by the frequency or wavelength of the radiation, with higher frequencies corresponding to higher energy states. The energy states of radiation are important in understanding how radiation interacts with matter.

5. How does radiation affect living organisms?

Exposure to high levels of radiation can have harmful effects on living organisms, including damage to cells and DNA. However, small levels of radiation are present in our environment and are necessary for life. The effects of radiation on living organisms depend on the type of radiation, the dose received, and the duration of exposure.