What is the wavelength of the radiation emitted at transition 3?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
mstud
Messages
69
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The figure (see attachment) shows part of a energy-state-diagram for an atom. Three energy states are included. At energy transition 1 & 2 the atom emit radiation with the wavelengths of [itex]2.56 \cdot 10^{-8} m[/itex] and [itex]3.04 \cdot 10^{-8} m[/itex], respectively.

Find the wavelength for the radiation which is emitted at transition 3.


Homework Equations



N/A

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried to take wavelength 1 minus wavelength 2, but this gave a completely wrong answer.

I got 4.8 nm. But the answer should be 162 nm.

How shall I then solve it? Does it make any difference to calculate the energy of the two transitions and find the difference between them, or will that give me the same weird answer?

ANY ideas?

Thanks
 
Attachments
  • 3.322.jpg
    3.322.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 421
Physics news on Phys.org
mstud said:

Homework Statement



The figure (see attachment) shows part of a energy-state-diagram for an atom. Three energy states are included. At energy transition 1 & 2 the atom emit radiation with the wavelengths of [itex]2.56 \cdot 10^{-8} m[/itex] and [itex]3.04 \cdot 10^{-8} m[/itex], respectively.

Find the wavelength for the radiation which is emitted at transition 3.


Homework Equations



N/A

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried to take wavelength 1 minus wavelength 2, but this gave a completely wrong answer.

I got 4.8 nm. But the answer should be 162 nm.

How shall I then solve it? Does it make any difference to calculate the energy of the two transitions and find the difference between them, or will that give me the same weird answer?

ANY ideas?

Thanks

You can only subtract energy - the difference between energy levels.

You need to convert the wavelengths to energy, subtract the energies, then convert the answer back to a wavelength
 
Thought of doing so but I didn't know if it was the right way.

Thank you , know I both got the right answer and know how to do it next time ...