What is the speed of three stars rotating in an equilateral triangle?

In summary, three identical stars of mass M = 8.9 x 1030 kg form an equilateral triangle and rotate around the triangle's center while moving in a common circle. Using Kepler's 3rd Law and the equation for velocity, the speed of the stars can be calculated as v=(GM/L)^0.5=1.456*10^5. However, the attempted solution using centripetal and gravitational forces for a single star is incorrect. Each sun is only pulled by two others, and the correct force should be calculated as GMm/L^2.
i_hate_math

Homework Statement

Three identical stars of mass M = 8.9 x 1030 kg form an equilateral triangle that rotates around the triangle's center as the stars move in a common circle about that center. The triangle has edge length L = 2.8 x 1010 m. What is the speed of the stars?

Homework Equations

Kepler's 3rd Law: T^2=(4*π^2/GM)*R^3
v=2πR/T

The Attempt at a Solution

I used L to find an expression for R, namely R=L/sqrt(3), since its a equilateral triangle and L one of the sides (this is probably where I went wrong). I then used the two equations above to calculate the speed.
Now I know that the correct solution to this question is v=(GM/L)^0.5=1.456*10^5,
can someone pls explain to me why it is so?

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with the basics: centripetal force being provided by the net gravitational force on any given star in the system.
upload_2016-4-22_0-36-55.png

Likes i_hate_math
gneill said:
Start with the basics: centripetal force being provided by the net gravitational force on any given star in the system.
View attachment 99491
I had m*v^2/R = G*m*3M/R^2, this led me to
v=sqrt(3GM/R)
and L=sqrt(3)R, could u tell me where I went wrong?

i_hate_math said:
G*m*3M/R^2
That is the magnitude of the force exerted by (what exactly) in what direction?

haruspex said:
That is the magnitude of the force exerted by (what exactly) in what direction?
I think this is the force exerted by the three suns and that is towards the centre of the circular orbit?

i_hate_math said:
I think this is the force exerted by the three suns and that is towards the centre of the circular orbit?
Each sun is only pulled by two others. But anyway, it looks to me like you calculated the force exerted by a single sun towards itself (GMm/L2).

1. What are Kepler's Laws of Planetary Motion?

Kepler's Laws of Planetary Motion are three laws formulated by German astronomer Johannes Kepler in the early 17th century. They describe the motion of planets around the sun and are considered fundamental principles in understanding the behavior of celestial bodies.

2. What is the first law of Kepler's Laws?

The first law, also known as the Law of Ellipses, states that the orbit of a planet around the sun is an ellipse with the sun at one of the two foci.

3. What is the second law of Kepler's Laws?

The second law, also known as the Law of Equal Areas, states that a line joining a planet and the sun sweeps out equal areas in equal time intervals. This means that a planet moves faster when it is closer to the sun and slower when it is farther away.

4. What is the third law of Kepler's Laws?

The third law, also known as the Law of Harmonies, states that the square of the orbital period of a planet is directly proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of its orbit. In simpler terms, this means that as a planet's distance from the sun increases, its orbital period also increases.

5. How did Kepler's Laws contribute to our understanding of the solar system?

Kepler's Laws helped to establish the heliocentric model of the solar system, which states that the sun is at the center and the planets orbit around it. These laws also provided a mathematical explanation for the movements of planets, paving the way for future discoveries and advancements in astronomy.