What is the speed of three stars rotating in an equilateral triangle?

  • Thread starter Thread starter i_hate_math
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Kepler's law Law
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
i_hate_math
Messages
150
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


Three identical stars of mass M = 8.9 x 1030 kg form an equilateral triangle that rotates around the triangle's center as the stars move in a common circle about that center. The triangle has edge length L = 2.8 x 1010 m. What is the speed of the stars?

Homework Equations


Kepler's 3rd Law: T^2=(4*π^2/GM)*R^3
v=2πR/T

The Attempt at a Solution


I used L to find an expression for R, namely R=L/sqrt(3), since its a equilateral triangle and L one of the sides (this is probably where I went wrong). I then used the two equations above to calculate the speed.
Now I know that the correct solution to this question is v=(GM/L)^0.5=1.456*10^5,
can someone pls explain to me why it is so?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Start with the basics: centripetal force being provided by the net gravitational force on any given star in the system.
upload_2016-4-22_0-36-55.png
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: i_hate_math
gneill said:
Start with the basics: centripetal force being provided by the net gravitational force on any given star in the system.
View attachment 99491
I had m*v^2/R = G*m*3M/R^2, this led me to
v=sqrt(3GM/R)
and L=sqrt(3)R, could u tell me where I went wrong?
 
i_hate_math said:
G*m*3M/R^2
That is the magnitude of the force exerted by (what exactly) in what direction?
 
haruspex said:
That is the magnitude of the force exerted by (what exactly) in what direction?
I think this is the force exerted by the three suns and that is towards the centre of the circular orbit?
 
i_hate_math said:
I think this is the force exerted by the three suns and that is towards the centre of the circular orbit?
Each sun is only pulled by two others. But anyway, it looks to me like you calculated the force exerted by a single sun towards itself (GMm/L2).