So this is a 5' diameter "double walled" vessel? Let me play back to you what I think you're saying. You have an inner vessel that contains the cryogen, a vacuum space and this second 5' diameter vessel that might be made of brass or bronze, then another vacuum space and then an outer vessel.
If that's the case, it sounds like you may have some kind of vessel with an unconventional radiation shield. These are typically used for liquid helium but I haven't seen a solid shield before. Typically the shield is just a copper foil wrap that's thermally tied into into a shield gas. That shield gas is either a liquid nitrogen shield or the gas that's vented off the tank when it boils. The shield gas could even be supplied by the liquid withdrawl as an option. At any rate, the copper is there to intercept radiation heat transfer through the vacuum space and remove that heat through the shield gas by conduction from the shield to the shield gas piping. Copper is used because it has good thermal conductivity at low temperature. Brass and other copper alloys could also be used. I've not seen a solid vessel used as a shield before, but I don't see any reason it wouldn't work very well as a shield.
So I guess the question is, is this vessel an ultra low heat leak vessel such as might be used for liquid helium or perhaps a type of test vessel used for very low temperature tests?
There are ways of easily identifying what type of metal it is. I've seen hand held 'guns' that look a bit like police radar guns. They fire x-rays (I think?) at the metal and thereby are able to determine the composition. They're very expensive (tens of thousands of dollars) but you could probably get someone with one of these devices to test it for you very inexpensively. It should only take a few minutes if you have one of these. May I ask where the tank is located?