What are we made of? (IB project)

• B
  • Thread starter Nikola Milekic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary, the conversation is about a personal project that the speaker has been working on for the past few months. The project is an obligatory project for getting an IB diploma, and the speaker chose to make a video on science, specifically quantum and particle physics. They ask for feedback and constructive criticism, rating the video a 8/10. The conversation also includes some corrections and clarifications about the content of the video, such as the electron's position and the concept of virtual particles. The conversation also touches on the acceptance of string theory by the scientific community. Overall, the project is well-presented and suitable for a high school audience, but there are some minor errors and areas for improvement.
Nikola Milekic
Hey everyone, this is my personal project that I've been working on during the last few months. This is an obligatory project that you must complete to get an IB diploma. The point of this project is to able to make something that you like. I could've chosen to do anything but I chose to make a video on science, more specifically the field of quantum and particle physics. If you have 10 minutes laying around, please give this video a watch and tell me what you think. Thank you so much and enjoy. Please let me know what you think of the content as well, all constructive criticism is appreciated! A grade on 10 would be perfect as well. Thanks again!

Video:

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see anything wildly wrong with it as video presenting some currently mainstream ideas in physics to a curious beginner.
Guess I'd give it something like 8/10. good but not exceptional.

Likes Nikola Milekic
I like the artistic direction. It has a very Vihart feel.
Content-wise, there are a few things that are a little iffy. Nothing completely wrong, but not quite right either.

The electron doesn't sit at a particular distance from the nucleus, so the football field analogy is slightly wrong. You should say this is the most probable distance, not the distance. Actually, for the ground state, the electron probability cloud is highest at the nucleus.

I don't think there are photons popping in and out of existence holding us up from the chair. You are taking virtual particles too literally. It is the Pauli exclusion principle that keeps us from falling through the chair. There is electric repulsion as well, but the electric force by itself can't maintain a stable arrangement of charges, so everything would just fall apart and sink into a blob.

String theory is being studied by a lot of physicists, but is not demonstrated as true. So we can't say it is accepted by the scientific community.

Likes Nikola Milekic and berkeman
Khashishi said:
I like the artistic direction. It has a very Vihart feel.
Content-wise, there are a few things that are a little iffy. Nothing completely wrong, but not quite right either.

The electron doesn't sit at a particular distance from the nucleus, so the football field analogy is slightly wrong. You should say this is the most probable distance, not the distance. Actually, for the ground state, the electron probability cloud is highest at the nucleus.

I don't think there are photons popping in and out of existence holding us up from the chair. You are taking virtual particles too literally. It is the Pauli exclusion principle that keeps us from falling through the chair. There is electric repulsion as well, but the electric force by itself can't maintain a stable arrangement of charges, so everything would just fall apart and sink into a blob.

String theory is being studied by a lot of physicists, but is not demonstrated as true. So we can't say it is accepted by the scientific community.
Thank you so much for your reply, I'm aware of my mistake in the football field analogy but the reason I used that analogy was to show that on average, most of the atom is empty space. As for the Pauli exclusion principle, given that my target audience is high school students and I wanted my video to not pass 10 minutes, I didn't want to dive deep into it because that would mean I would have to cover spin and quantum numbers. And to be honest, I find that the Pauli Exclusion Principle is not very easy to explain especially without diving deep into quantum mechanics. Also, as I mentioned string theory, I said that it's "more or less accepted by the science community" because of conflicting opinions between scientists. Thanks again for the reply.

Well, then it's probably better to just omit the part about sitting on a chair.

Khashishi said:
Well, then it's probably better to just omit the part about sitting on a chair.
"Cracking like lightning through the void, all the specks of electrons and the specks of nuclei are constantly interacting through a force called electromagnetism. Each interaction is carried out through the jolting exchange of particles of pure energy called photons (which is really just a nubbins of light). Each photon swapped equals a little push or a pull — a force — exerted across the emptiness. That's really what's keeping the stuff we call your butt from drifting through the stuff we call your chair."

Source: http://www.npr.org/sections/13.7/2015/04/07/398008378/why-doesn-t-your-butt-fall-through-the-chair

I liked the way this is presented, by writing ideas and figures in a whiteboard with hand. Overall I believe it is very good for the audience that is aimed to (high school ) so I give it a 9/10.

Just a tiny correction, you say at some point that the particles of the standard model is what makes everything in the universe. This is just a bit wrong because there is also dark energy and dark matter in the universe, which we don't know whether or not they consist of particles of the standard model (for dark energy we almost got no clue what it is, for dark matter there are theories that say that it might consist of particles of the standard model). And the funny thing is that according to current scientific consensus dark energy is about 70% of the universe and dark matter about 25% of the universe while the ordinary so called baryonic matter (the stuff we are made of) is only 5%.

Likes Nikola Milekic
Delta² said:
I liked the way this is presented, by writing ideas and figures in a whiteboard with hand. Overall I believe it is very good for the audience that is aimed to (high school ) so I give it a 9/10.

Just a tiny correction, you say at some point that the particles of the standard model is what makes everything in the universe. This is just a bit wrong because there is also dark energy and dark matter in the universe, which we don't know whether or not they consist of particles of the standard model (for dark energy we almost got no clue what it is, for dark matter there are theories that say that it might consist of particles of the standard model). And the funny thing is that according to current scientific consensus dark energy is about 70% of the universe and dark matter about 25% of the universe while the ordinary so called baryonic matter (the stuff we are made of) is only 5%.
Oh man you are totally right, I completely forgot to mention dark matter/energy. Thanks for that remark but I think that adding that would of confused beginners more than anything but I still think it's worth mentioning. I might even end up making a video dedicated to the taboo of dark matter.

Likes Delta2
Nikola Milekic said:
Oh man you are totally right, I completely forgot to mention dark matter/energy. Thanks for that remark but I think that adding that would of confused beginners more than anything but I still think it's worth mentioning. I might even end up making a video dedicated to the taboo of dark matter.
Well you got every right not to mention dark matter or dark energy cause the title of the subject is what are we made of, and human body doesn't have much to do with dark matter or dark energy. However dark energy is everywhere in the universe it surrounds planet Earth and all planets and the sun, and there is also a tiny percentage of dark matter in our solar system.

Likes Nikola Milekic

What are we made of?

We are made up of atoms, which are the basic building blocks of matter.

What elements make up the human body?

The human body is primarily made up of oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, and nitrogen, which make up about 96% of our body's mass. Other elements such as calcium, phosphorus, potassium, sulfur, and sodium also play important roles in our body's structure and function.

How many atoms are in the human body?

There are approximately 7 octillion (7 followed by 27 zeros) atoms in the average human body. This number varies slightly depending on a person's size and weight, but overall, we are composed of a staggering number of atoms.

What is the difference between organic and inorganic matter?

Organic matter contains carbon and is found in living organisms, while inorganic matter does not contain carbon and is found in non-living things such as rocks and minerals. However, there are some exceptions to this rule, such as carbon dioxide (CO2) which is an inorganic compound despite containing carbon.

What is the role of DNA in our bodies?

DNA, or deoxyribonucleic acid, is a molecule that contains the genetic instructions for the development, function, and reproduction of living organisms. It carries the genetic information that determines our physical characteristics and plays a crucial role in the production of proteins and enzymes that are essential for our bodies to function properly.