1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are your experiences as tutors?

1. Mar 11, 2012 #1
    Was wondering if anybody could share for me their experience as being math (or physics) tutors and how much it helped you in terms of 1) understanding concepts yourself and 2) a possible trajectory into working in academia. I say #2 because the tutoring position I'm thinking of applying for is at my university. I'd be making terrible money (9 to 10 bucks an hour) but I still think the experience would be valuable in at least the first respect and may help me with #2, as I am (at this point) seriously considering going all the way into Phd Studies in mathematics (or physics, but right now it's looking like math.)

Thanks,

-Dave K

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2012 #2
    I tutored physics, math, french, and music theory through my university (and privately for MCATs). The MCAT tutoring payed much better: I usually did groups of 4-5 and charged $10 an hour for each of them, so I'd easily be making 40-50 an hour.

My experience tutoring math/physics through the university was mainly answering questions students had after not understanding stuff during lectures. I also spent a lot of time working through examples from my old books (so they could still do all the problems in their books if they wanted + I wouldn't risk solving homework problems).

My experience with doing MCAT group tutoring was more like preparing review lectures and exercises. If anything prepared me for possible TA duties, it was that.

I guess tutoring helped out my understanding by reinforcing stuff and requiring me to explain concepts. Although I'm not intending to remain in academia post-PhD, I suppose all of the experience helped my overall teaching abilities. I would recommend a tutoring job assuming you can't get a cushy job working a desk job at the library (where you can study most of the down time).

4. Mar 11, 2012 #3
    I've tutored high schoolers in chemistry and math. I find the work to be enjoyable, and it's great pay ($20+ and hour) and it does make you have to think back ''oh yeah how to do those types of problems''.

5. Apr 12, 2012 #4
    So it turns out my university is not looking for tutors over the summer. Many of the tutors do go home for the summer, but they need less, so it evens out.

Which means I have to look elsewhere, which means driving around (not seated comfortable at my school tutoring center, 2 miles from home), but also more money. (The university pays a measly 9 an hour.)

Now, many of the tutoring agencies I look at say they want a bachelor's, but I believe math, because of it's difficulty, is often the exception. I have been through three semesters of calculus, so I should be qualified to teach most of their students. Can anyone attest to this being the case?

Club Z is popular around here. My wife (who has a masters) did some work for them. Great company, but their website says they require a bachelor's.

-DaveK

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook