Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What big concerts have you been to?

1. Jun 17, 2008 #1
    What big concerts have you been to? How were they? With a fair amount of luck, and money, I'll see the Foo Fighters when they play in Portland, Oregon on July 10th.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2008 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some of the concerts I had a really good time at:

The Who
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Iron Maiden
    Deep Purple
    Aerosmith
    Roger Waters
    Tom Petty

The one concert where I ended up most disappointed was a Robert Plant concert (no Jimmy Page). It was nothing like the Plant that I was used to in the heyday of LedZep. My best rock concert experience was The Who - this was in the week after Entwistle died. Jason Starkey was awesome on drums and Townshend and Daltrey were everything they used to be in the 60s & 70s...and more!

4. Jun 17, 2008 #3
    Since I started college I have seen Tom Petty, Ben Harper twice, Damien Marley, Damien Rice, Herbie Hancock, John Mayer, The Police, Elvis Costello, Del The Funky Homosapien, The Wu Tang Clan and Rage against the Machine. My favorite concerts were the Tom Petty concert and the second Ben Harper concert. However, seeing the Wu Tang Clan and Rage against the machine was probably one of the most intense experiences of my life.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  5. Jun 17, 2008 #4
    RATM would be bad ass to see. Not related, but related to the topic. If you only had, say, two concerts to see in your life what would they be? For me it'd be Monterrey Pop or Woodstock, and a Nirvana concert, maybe the MTV Unplugged one.

6. Jun 17, 2008 #5

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

James Ehnes
    Collin James
    Burton Cummings
    Great Big Sea
    Dan Fogelberg
    Dire Straits
    The Eagles
    Bowie
    Clapton

7. Jun 17, 2008 #6
    Out of a Hundred or so, Pink Floyd was the best of the best.

In the mid seventies my wife worked for the ticket agency ( back when there were real tickets ) and when the new ones came in she would pick out the best seats for us and the rest were for sale.

I got spoiled with the best seats for the best bands. *sigh* memory lane

8. Jun 17, 2008 #7
    Yeah I saw RATM and WuTang in Detroit a few years back. So crazy. Not a big Wu Tang Clan fan but Rage was awesome.

I've seen the Foo Fighters a bunch of times, usually a great show.

9. Jun 17, 2008 #8

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Loads. The big ones were the Foo Fighters (a few times, but best at Leeds), Muse, the Manics, Damien Rice, Ben Folds; and The Spice Girls. I'm perpetually jealous of anyone who caught Led Zeppelin or Queen.

Binzing; don't hype up the Foo Fighters too much. Yes; they are utterly incredible live. But the venue can really let things down (in terms of sound quality, view, other attendees etc).

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  10. Jun 17, 2008 #9
    Iron Maiden
    Prince
    Foo Fighters
    Pink Floyd (well... Roger Waters)

About 40 other bands, but those were the most well known. Iron Maiden was obviously amazing live. Prince was out of this world good at what he does (I don't even like Prince normally!). I have to say that the Foo Fighters show was probably my favorite show of all time (I just realized I'm wearing a shirt I got at the concert). Roger Waters was also really good (I was maybe 3 people from the stage).

11. Jun 17, 2008 #10
    I'm not overplaying them, I only know a few of their songs anyways. I'd just like to see them. My favorite band EVER is Nirvana, so getting to see Dave play live would be great. (although I think he was a better drummer than frontman)

12. Jun 17, 2008 #11
    I would have to disagree with you on that one. Who's opening for them at the concert you might go to?

13. Jun 17, 2008 #12

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Dave is one of my heroes. He almost exactly the same age as me and has talent beyond measure. He used to play the drums like a supernova. Constantly exploding.

I saw Nirvana 5 times with their first drummer, then twice with Dave. I tell everyone who would listen, that "Teen Spirit" is what it is because of the drums. Listen to the start of that song and tell me the chill doesn't start when Dave kicks in! Best show ever: Washington DC (forgot the venue) winter 1989-1990.

Prior to Nirvana, Dave played with Scream, a Northern Virginia band (Baily's Cross-Roads, to be exact) I saw about a dozen times (only twice with Dave drumming). Before that, Dave was with a band called Dain Bramage; that was the first time I saw Dave. He was the only remarkable part of that band, and no one noticed the other members were even there. It was like:"What's the drummer going to do next?" The guitarist and bassist were aware that Dave was going to leave them. Never saw Foo Fighters, and I agree with Blinzing: Dave is not a guitarist/singer the way he is a drummer.

14. Jun 17, 2008 #13

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Whoops. Always thought Dave was just one week younger than me. Turns out he's actually 4 years and one week younger. That changes everything. I hate him! Talentless git!

15. Jun 17, 2008 #14

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I've only seen the old groups back in the 60's and 70's - Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, Jethro Tull, Fleetwood Mac, John Mayal, Johnny Winter, Steppenwolf, Mothers of Invention, Spirit, Country Joe & the Fish, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Jefferson Airplane, Muddy Waters, Lightnin' Hopkins, Bruce Springsteen, Quicksilver Messenger Service, ELO, Bob Seeger, Rod Stuart, Steppenwolfe, Traffic, Joe Walsh, ZZ Top, too many to remember, if they came to town, I saw them, and a lot of great but more obscure artists.

16. Jun 17, 2008 #15
    God your one lucky SOB! (OK maybe not the SOB part, but yeah) I would have given soo much to see that. Kurt is my most influential idol/person, thing. While "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is good, it's far from my fav. Nirvana song...When you got to see them, what size were these concerts? The smaller ones were always really good, with a great atmosphere, from what I have seen, read, and heard.

17. Jun 17, 2008 #16
    I'm not sure, I don't think anyone is. Haven't seen it on the tick websites at least...

18. Jun 18, 2008 #17
    You know, for a long time I wasn't a big Wu Tang Clan fan either, but I really do respect the RZA. He is actually a pretty intelligent guy. I found it surprising to learn that he is a huge chess aficionado and he even runs a nonprofit organization to teach youth about the game. Go to wuchess.com.

And, Evo, that's an amazing concert list.

19. Jun 18, 2008 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not much of a concert person, but most notably, I saw The Stones, in 1977. That pretty much cured me of concerts. Others include Eddie Money, Elton, Santana, James Galway...:biggrin:

I don't like crowds.

I tried to catch a Jethro Tull concert a few years ago but heard about it too late.

20. Jun 18, 2008 #19

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Kurt was a good singer, but not such a good idol.

I saw them in Richmond with Flipper, 1987, and again with Mudhoney 1988. Saw them in Minneapolis with another Sub Pop band, Summer 1989 (?). Those were with the first drummer. To be honest, they were "just another Sub Pop band" at the time (the original "grunge" label, before the word "grunge").

I think it was January 1991 I first saw the Dave line-up, just before "Teen spirit," so it was still in a smallish venue. This was in DC, so everyone knew about Grohl "coming home." Everyone there was convinced that it was Dave's band.

Next time was less than a year later, Minneapolis again. I had to buy tickets in advance! "What's with that?" There were scalpers, poseurs, and "grungers" and it was a full concert venue with seats. It's unbelievable how quickly they rose to stardom.

21. Jun 18, 2008 #20
    And incredibly sad how it ended so fast. But I understand why he did it...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?