What big concerts have you been to?

• Thread starter binzing
  • Start date
In summary: The drummer for Scream was also in a band with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, so Dave was definitely in good company.In summary, the big concerts I've been to were all good, with Iron Maiden, Pink Floyd, and Prince being my favorites. However, the Tom Petty and Ben Harper concerts were my favorites.
binzing
What big concerts have you been to? How were they? With a fair amount of luck, and money, I'll see the Foo Fighters when they play in Portland, Oregon on July 10th.

Physics news on Phys.org
Some of the concerts I had a really good time at:

The Who
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Iron Maiden
Deep Purple
Aerosmith
Roger Waters
Tom Petty

The one concert where I ended up most disappointed was a Robert Plant concert (no Jimmy Page). It was nothing like the Plant that I was used to in the heyday of LedZep. My best rock concert experience was The Who - this was in the week after Entwistle died. http://members.fortunecity.com/jlennongrrl/jasonstarkey/jason.jpg was awesome on drums and Townshend and Daltrey were everything they used to be in the 60s & 70s...and more!

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I started college I have seen Tom Petty, Ben Harper twice, Damien Marley, Damien Rice, Herbie Hancock, John Mayer, The Police, Elvis Costello, Del The Funky Homosapien, The Wu Tang Clan and Rage against the Machine. My favorite concerts were the Tom Petty concert and the second Ben Harper concert. However, seeing the Wu Tang Clan and Rage against the machine was probably one of the most intense experiences of my life.

Last edited:
RATM would be bad ass to see. Not related, but related to the topic. If you only had, say, two concerts to see in your life what would they be? For me it'd be Monterrey Pop or Woodstock, and a Nirvana concert, maybe the MTV Unplugged one.

James Ehnes
Collin James
Burton Cummings
Great Big Sea
Dan Fogelberg
Dire Straits
The Eagles
Bowie
Clapton

Out of a Hundred or so, Pink Floyd was the best of the best.

In the mid seventies my wife worked for the ticket agency ( back when there were real tickets ) and when the new ones came in she would pick out the best seats for us and the rest were for sale.

I got spoiled with the best seats for the best bands. *sigh* memory lane

The|M|onster said:
Since I started college I have seen Tom Petty, Ben Harper twice, Damien Marley, Damien Rice, Herbie Hancock, John Mayer, The Police, Elvis Costello, Del The Funky Homosapien, The Wu Tang Clan and Rage against the Machine. My favorite concerts were the Tom Petty concert and the second Ben Harper concert. However, seeing the Wu Tang Clan and Rage against the machine was probably one of the most intense experiences of my life.

Yeah I saw RATM and WuTang in Detroit a few years back. So crazy. Not a big Wu Tang Clan fan but Rage was awesome.I've seen the Foo Fighters a bunch of times, usually a great show.

Loads. The big ones were the Foo Fighters (a few times, but best at Leeds), Muse, the Manics, Damien Rice, Ben Folds; and The Spice Girls. I'm perpetually jealous of anyone who caught Led Zeppelin or Queen.

Binzing; don't hype up the Foo Fighters too much. Yes; they are utterly incredible live. But the venue can really let things down (in terms of sound quality, view, other attendees etc).

Last edited:
Iron Maiden
Prince
Foo Fighters
Pink Floyd (well... Roger Waters)

About 40 other bands, but those were the most well known. Iron Maiden was obviously amazing live. Prince was out of this world good at what he does (I don't even like Prince normally!). I have to say that the Foo Fighters show was probably my favorite show of all time (I just realized I'm wearing a shirt I got at the concert). Roger Waters was also really good (I was maybe 3 people from the stage).

I'm not overplaying them, I only know a few of their songs anyways. I'd just like to see them. My favorite band EVER is Nirvana, so getting to see Dave play live would be great. (although I think he was a better drummer than frontman)

binzing said:
(although I think he was a better drummer than frontman)

I would have to disagree with you on that one. Who's opening for them at the concert you might go to?

binzing said:
I'm not overplaying them, I only know a few of their songs anyways. I'd just like to see them. My favorite band EVER is Nirvana, so getting to see Dave play live would be great. (although I think he was a better drummer than frontman)

Dave is one of my heroes. He almost exactly the same age as me and has talent beyond measure. He used to play the drums like a supernova. Constantly exploding.

I saw Nirvana 5 times with their first drummer, then twice with Dave. I tell everyone who would listen, that "Teen Spirit" is what it is because of the drums. Listen to the start of that song and tell me the chill doesn't start when Dave kicks in! Best show ever: Washington DC (forgot the venue) winter 1989-1990.

Prior to Nirvana, Dave played with Scream, a Northern Virginia band (Baily's Cross-Roads, to be exact) I saw about a dozen times (only twice with Dave drumming). Before that, Dave was with a band called Dain Bramage; that was the first time I saw Dave. He was the only remarkable part of that band, and no one noticed the other members were even there. It was like:"What's the drummer going to do next?" The guitarist and bassist were aware that Dave was going to leave them. Never saw Foo Fighters, and I agree with Blinzing: Dave is not a guitarist/singer the way he is a drummer.

Whoops. Always thought Dave was just one week younger than me. Turns out he's actually 4 years and one week younger. That changes everything. I hate him! Talentless git!

I've only seen the old groups back in the 60's and 70's - Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, Jethro Tull, Fleetwood Mac, John Mayal, Johnny Winter, Steppenwolf, Mothers of Invention, Spirit, Country Joe & the Fish, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Jefferson Airplane, Muddy Waters, Lightnin' Hopkins, Bruce Springsteen, Quicksilver Messenger Service, ELO, Bob Seeger, Rod Stuart, Steppenwolfe, Traffic, Joe Walsh, ZZ Top, too many to remember, if they came to town, I saw them, and a lot of great but more obscure artists.

Chi Meson said:
Dave is one of my heroes. He almost exactly the same age as me and has talent beyond measure. He used to play the drums like a supernova. Constantly exploding.

I saw Nirvana 5 times with their first drummer, then twice with Dave. I tell everyone who would listen, that "Teen Spirit" is what it is because of the drums. Listen to the start of that song and tell me the chill doesn't start when Dave kicks in! Best show ever: Washington DC (forgot the venue) winter 1989-1990.

Prior to Nirvana, Dave played with Scream, a Northern Virginia band (Baily's Cross-Roads, to be exact) I saw about a dozen times (only twice with Dave drumming). Before that, Dave was with a band called Dain Bramage; that was the first time I saw Dave. He was the only remarkable part of that band, and no one noticed the other members were even there. It was like:"What's the drummer going to do next?" The guitarist and bassist were aware that Dave was going to leave them. Never saw Foo Fighters, and I agree with Binzing: Dave is not a guitarist/singer the way he is a drummer.

God your one lucky SOB! (OK maybe not the SOB part, but yeah) I would have given soo much to see that. Kurt is my most influential idol/person, thing. While "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is good, it's far from my fav. Nirvana song...When you got to see them, what size were these concerts? The smaller ones were always really good, with a great atmosphere, from what I have seen, read, and heard.

moose said:
I would have to disagree with you on that one. Who's opening for them at the concert you might go to?

I'm not sure, I don't think anyone is. Haven't seen it on the tick websites at least...

K.J.Healey said:
Yeah I saw RATM and WuTang in Detroit a few years back. So crazy. Not a big Wu Tang Clan fan but Rage was awesome.

You know, for a long time I wasn't a big Wu Tang Clan fan either, but I really do respect the RZA. He is actually a pretty intelligent guy. I found it surprising to learn that he is a huge chess aficionado and he even runs a nonprofit organization to teach youth about the game. Go to wuchess.com.

And, Evo, that's an amazing concert list.

I'm not much of a concert person, but most notably, I saw The Stones, in 1977. That pretty much cured me of concerts. Others include Eddie Money, Elton, Santana, James Galway...:biggrin:

I don't like crowds.

I tried to catch a Jethro Tull concert a few years ago but heard about it too late.

binzing said:
God your one lucky SOB! (OK maybe not the SOB part, but yeah) I would have given soo much to see that. Kurt is my most influential idol/person, thing. While "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is good, it's far from my fav. Nirvana song...When you got to see them, what size were these concerts? The smaller ones were always really good, with a great atmosphere, from what I have seen, read, and heard.

Kurt was a good singer, but not such a good idol.

I saw them in Richmond with Flipper, 1987, and again with Mudhoney 1988. Saw them in Minneapolis with another Sub Pop band, Summer 1989 (?). Those were with the first drummer. To be honest, they were "just another Sub Pop band" at the time (the original "grunge" label, before the word "grunge").

I think it was January 1991 I first saw the Dave line-up, just before "Teen spirit," so it was still in a smallish venue. This was in DC, so everyone knew about Grohl "coming home." Everyone there was convinced that it was Dave's band.

Next time was less than a year later, Minneapolis again. I had to buy tickets in advance! "What's with that?" There were scalpers, poseurs, and "grungers" and it was a full concert venue with seats. It's unbelievable how quickly they rose to stardom.

And incredibly sad how it ended so fast. But I understand why he did it...

Flogging Molly is the only concert I have been to. The venue wasn't very good and neither was the opening act so not a very good experience over all. I'm claustro so I probably won't be braving the crowds to see anotherconcert unless it's one I'd really love to see.

I've also been to some small 'shows' in clubs, bars, and coffee houses. I saw Psychlon_9 at a club called Das Bunker. Oh, and Batlord at the local sports bar. Which was odd.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Flogging Molly is the only concert I have been to.

Haha, I've seen Flogging Molly live. It was at Coachella and I was very near the front of the stage. I only stayed for two songs because I don't like the music. It was a lot of fun though, it was definitely the wildest concert I've ever been to.

I can play some of their mandolin parts in their songs.

I've seen Flogging Molly at a local Irish Festival - they were a bunch of fun.

I'd definitely see them again at a better venue.
The one I really want to see is Bad Religion though.

binzing said:

If you get enough people chanting "GET ON THE DRUMS!", chances are he'll do it. You might even get lucky and get him to duel with Taylor. Eeee!

Ha, might have to try that, but I probably won't make it to that concert. But hey, they're doing pretty good, so they should be touring for quite a while in the future.

several speciese and weschesters weadows are on what album?

Stones (opened by the Commodores)
Bob Dylan
Phil Collins
Barry Manilow (opened by Andy Kaufman) This was interesting in that it was shortly before either of them hit it big. It was in a night club that held about 100 people)
Dave Bromberg. In a small bar at the height of his career.
RCO All Stars (Levon Helm after The Band)
Peter Schickele (twice)
The Philadelphia Orchestra (numerous times)
Robert Merrill in Tosca (I don't like opera, I only went because I was in the opera myself)

Neil Young
Lucinda Williams (many times!)
Lyle Lovette
John Lee Hooker
Doobie Brothers
Crosby, Stills, and Nash
KD Lang

There are a lot more but I can't remember.

My first concert was Blue Oyster Cult...it was in a huge venue that was so filled with marijuana smoke you couldn't see to the other side.

If a few weeks we're going to see Willie Nelson - woohoo!

lisab said:
Neil Young
Lucinda Williams (many times!)
Lyle Lovette
John Lee Hooker
Doobie Brothers
Crosby, Stills, and Nash
KD Lang

There are a lot more but I can't remember.

My first concert was Blue Oyster Cult...it was in a huge venue that was so filled with marijuana smoke you couldn't see to the other side.

If a few weeks we're going to see Willie Nelson - woohoo!
You've seen John Lee Hooker? Oh man, what a treat.

I've been to Stones, Guess Who, Paul McCartney, and AC/DC. I've also seen a bunch of cover bands. Unfortunately, most of my faviorate artists are dead =/

Per concert (with some multiple bills)
Chuck Berry, Shirrels, Coasters, Screaming Jay Hawkings
Dave Brubeck with Jerry Mulligan
Byrds, Blue Oyster cult (first show of first tour), Mahavishnu Orchestra (first show of first tour)
Alice Cooper
Eagles
Buddy Guy and Junior Wells
Bonnie Raitt (several times)
Fleetwood Mac, Boz Skaggs, Eagles
Jonathan Edwards (several shows)
Melanie
Tom Rush
Lenny Breault
Emmylou Harrris, Sleepy le Boef (sp?)
Ricky Scaggs
Greatful Dead, New Riders of the Purple Sage (first show of their first tour)
Jethro Tull
Heart (twice)
Sha Na Na (twice)

I've seen lots more shows than this, but these are the ones that come to mind first.

turbo-1 said:
Sha Na Na (twice)
Twice? I guess that was second prize:biggrin:

Chi Meson said:
Twice? I guess that was second prize:biggrin:
I enjoyed the first show, and after I got married, I took my wife to see them. I grew up in the rockabilly era that they were parodying, and a lot of the local musicians dressed like hoods, with duck-a$$ hair-dos.

John Lee Hooker, Jr. just played here. I didn't see him but my dad did.

Well, it fell through, I'm not going to see the Foos the summer...