What Calculations Determine the Volleyball's Trajectory in Projectile Motion?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
33 replies · 6K views
verty said:
I believe Haruspex's method does not require one to differentiate at all which I think is much nicer.
That's very true, I still like more your method for that exact reason, that it involves derivatives!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Delta² said:
Not sure what you mean here, but I agree if you correctly treat the system , you can solve one quadratic equation and some linear equations and get the angle and the velocities.
You get two linear equations in which the unknowns are vy/vx and 1/vx2, vx and vy being the initial velocity components.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Delta2
verty said:
Ok, I can see Haruspex's method is the one to use (for sure).
It is no different from your own method in post #21. For some reason I had not seen that when I wrote post #23. There can be quite a delay.
I get two equations instead of three merely by taking coordinates relative to the launch point.
 
haruspex said:
It is no different from your own method in post #21. For some reason I had not seen that when I wrote post #23. There can be quite a delay.
I get two equations instead of three merely by taking coordinates relative to the launch point.

I meant working with the usual time formula. Solving those quadratics was not so difficult in this case.
 
Last edited: