Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering What can I do with Engineering Physics?

1. Feb 7, 2009 #1
    Hi, I'm currently doing an undergad in Engineering Physics leading to a BEng degree.
    The three option for specialization are:

1). Nuclear Engineering (Nuclear and Particle Physics, Engineering Energy Systems, etc)
    2). Photonics Engineering (Optical Instrumentation, Biophotonics, Laser System Applications, Optoelectronics etc)
    3) Nano/Micro-Devices Engineering (MEMS, Bio-MEMS, Mechatronics/Robotics, Micro-Robotics, Micro-Fabrication etc)

I'm interested in the photonics stream and was wondering if anyone can tell me what i can do at the BEng level for careers and jobs? Also, where are these jobs found, other than connections from the university (eg. Monster, Workopolis etc)and how can I go about finding them?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2009 #2

djeitnstine

Gold Member

EP's are usually the guys who crunch numbers for satellites and work for NASA. I know a few who do research for the hopeful manned mission to mars. They are essentially on the leading edge of space research and development.

4. Feb 8, 2009 #3
    Thats awesome. My dream job would be an Aerospace Engineer, just its not too easy to come by a program. If I could aford to live away I would do it at either U of Toronto or Carleton, But I can't. Also I'd be worried about how heavy the mechanics would get too.

What about the photonics industry? Where's the best place to look/find these jobs. Also, what kinda work specifies an engineering physics degree or closely related degree?

5. Feb 8, 2009 #4

djeitnstine

Gold Member

Sorry I'm not educated on the photonics industry.

As for engineering physics, I can tell you as the name implies do a LOT of physics. for some part of their degree they brush against many engineering disciplines. Here is a small sample of my university's EP senior courses.

Microcomputers and Electronic
    Instrumentation . . 3
    Space Physics . . . . . . . . . . . 3
    Engineering Electricity and
    Magnetism . 3
    Quantum Physics . . . . . 3
    Space Systems Design I . . . . . . . 2
    Space Systems Design II . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3
    Engineering Materials Science . . . . . . . 2
    Engineering Materials Science
    Laboratory . . . . . . . 1

Many of the jobs you are looking for would certainly reside at many government labs. Take a look at the NSF (National Science Foundation) website to get you started.

6. Feb 8, 2009 #5
    What university is thatÉ I think my university degree layout is quite different from yours. I am at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario.

Here is the layout for after 2nd year in the photonics. These are the specialization courses.

3rd year courses: Application of Photonics, Fundamentals of Physical Optics, Optical Instrumentation.

4th year courses: Optical Communication Systems, Lasera and Electro-optics, Biophotonics, Photonic Devices and Systems.

Actually the last 2 from 4th year are not required, but probably the best technical electives for this stream.

The other 2 streams the similar layout, but requires courses associated with Nuclear engineering and Naon-micro engineering respectively.

7. Feb 8, 2009 #6

djeitnstine

Gold Member

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. The Engineering Physics program here has a 100% job rate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?