1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics What can I do with a degree in physics/engineering/nuclear

1. Jun 6, 2017 #1
    I am almost done with a BS in physics with focus in nuclear engineering and engineering.
    My classes have been all the normal BS physics classes as well as nuclear physics with kranes book, two classes with Lamarsh's books on nuclear engineering as well as the blue bible (deuterstadt and Hamilton). I also have classes in ME thermo , fluids , and heat transfer. And i might be taking an ME materials class.

I know I can go to get a MS in nuke engineering, which is what this is mainly designed for, but what kind of jobs are out there for this kind of degree line up? Do i qualify for a job as an ME or similar?

Thankyou for the input.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2017 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

There are likely engineeing jobs out there that you could do however if the employer asks for someone with an engineering degree they are more likely to hire someone with an engineering degree than a physics degree.

4. Jun 6, 2017 #3
    Would this exclude me from any mechanical engineering jobs? Is it uncommon to hire physics engineering majors for engineering/similar jobs?

5. Jun 6, 2017 #4

russ_watters

It would not exclude you, it would just make finding a job in that area more difficult. Yes, it is less common to hire physicists than engineers for engineering jobs.

6. Jun 6, 2017 #5
    Okay thankyou for the input! Would you be able to point me to a field that would be more likely to hire physicists. I'll say I intend to go to grad school for nuclear engineering but am trying to assess all my options.

7. Jun 6, 2017 #6

russ_watters

That question I'm less suited to answer...

8. Jun 6, 2017 #7
    Okay, again tha you for your response. I appriciate it.

9. Jun 7, 2017 #8
    Russ is right, if you want to work as an ME it is best to get the engineering degree.

That said, you could check with the reactor engineering department at the nuclear power stations. They routinely hire physics bachelors. And once you have a job you could migrate towards the more mechanical type work if you're suited for it. A warning though, the careers at the nuclear units are not as steady as they once were. Subject for another thread perhaps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted