What can you predict given acceleration and initial velocity

In summary: And displacement is likewise a general solution, so answer C is correct if you are allowed to substitute variables into a general solution.In summary, the conversation discusses a physics test question that asks which variables can be predicted if the acceleration and initial velocity of a car are known. The options are the direction of the initial velocity, the magnitude of the final velocity, the displacement of the car, or all of the above. The person initially thought the correct answer was A, but their teacher marked it wrong and said the answer was D. The person argues that without knowing the time interval, it is impossible to determine the final velocity and displacement. They suggest that the question may have been copied incorrectly and that the correct answer should be A. However, it is
GiantSheeps

Homework Statement

If you know the acceleration of a car and its initial velocity, you can predict which of the following?
A. The direction of the car's initial velocity
B. The magnitude of the car's final velocity
C. The displacement of the car
D. All of the above

Homework Equations

I said A, which was marked incorrect

The Attempt at a Solution

This was a question on a physics test I took recently, and I said the answer was A because both final velocity and displacement are dependent upon time, which we do not know.

However, I was marked wrong and my physics teacher says that the answer was D.

I feel very strongly that my answer is the correct one, and after typing the question into google I saw that a similar question is frequently asked on tests and quizzes and homeworks, except it includes time interval as well

Ex:
If you know the acceleration of a car, its initial velocity, and the time interval, which of the following can you predict?

...with all the same options. I understand why this answer would be all of the above, but I don't see how you could possibly determine final velocity and displacement given only intial velocity aand acceleration.

So am I off base here? If so, how could you determine time given only acceleration and initial velocity? It looks to me as if she may have just missed that key bit about time interval when copying the question...

Physics news on Phys.org
I would agree with you.

Maybe ask your teacher to show you how B & C could be done and she will see her error.

Likes GiantSheeps
Velocity is a vector quantity, so if you know the initial velocity then you would know both initial speed and direction. Answer A is correct.

The car’s final speed = vinitial + acceleration x time. You can represent time in this formula as an algebraic variable. Then you have a general solution that works no matter how long the acceleration lasts. Answer B is correct if general solutions are allowed.

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It is defined as the change in velocity divided by the change in time.

What is initial velocity?

Initial velocity is the velocity of an object at the beginning of a time interval. It is the starting point of an object's motion.

How are acceleration and initial velocity related?

Acceleration and initial velocity are related by the equation: final velocity = initial velocity + (acceleration x time). This equation is known as the kinematic equation for uniform acceleration.

What can you predict with acceleration and initial velocity?

Using the kinematic equation for uniform acceleration, you can predict the final velocity of an object after a given amount of time. You can also predict the distance traveled by the object during that time interval.

Can acceleration and initial velocity be used to predict an object's position at a specific time?

No, acceleration and initial velocity alone cannot predict an object's position at a specific time. Other factors such as time and initial position are also needed to accurately predict an object's position.