What can you tell me about wakefield plasma acceleration?

In summary: Ok, that's a smidgen of the type of information I'm looking for. Now if the plasma density were increased would it be possible to increase the wall-plug efficiency? Or alternatively, have an experiments been scaled upwards?No, you'll just make it worse, because now you need to put in even MORE energy to create that plasma. Furthermore, the quality of the electron beam you will get will be worse, because the non-linear effects will be even larger.
Eirhead
I'm trying to read as much as I can about the topic. So I've read over wikipedia and watched some videos and such.

It seems to me, this method of plasma acceleration would be prime for space thruster applications. Right now VASIMR is using ICH rf coupling to accelerate their plasma. They should ditch that entirely and move to wakefield plasma acceleration if it's at all possible within in the context of their current design.

I'm not sure about the math behind this, but I'm under the assumption that the closer we get to relative speeds with ion ejection, the higher the efficiencies are going to be for Electricity to Force conversions (assuming the coupling efficiency remains the same). So let's stop wasting our time with 0.01% c plasma excitation, and really focus on getting to 50% - 99% c.

Whatever the electricity cost, I could really careless about, because if we can develop an engine strong enough for terrestrial liftoff, there will be limitless potential for where we can go with it and you'll really see progress ramp up!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have a severe misunderstanding about this principle.

The plasma wakefield acceleration so far is used to generate high gradient fields to accelerate charged particles, currently just electrons. Why you would want to use this for space thruster is very puzzling.

First of all, the wall-plug efficiency is extremely low (we're talking about less than 5% here). Secondly, so far, the technology can only accelerated very small electron bunches (significantly less than 1 nC per bunch), which isn't very much (but enough for many high energy physics applications). Try and figure out how much of a push you think you can get out of that many electrons.

Zz.

Ok, that's a smidgen of the type of information I'm looking for. Now if the plasma density were increased would it be possible to increase the wall-plug efficiency? Or alternatively, have an experiments been scaled upwards?

Eirhead said:
Ok, that's a smidgen of the type of information I'm looking for. Now if the plasma density were increased would it be possible to increase the wall-plug efficiency? Or alternatively, have an experiments been scaled upwards?

No, you'll just make it worse, because now you need to put in even MORE energy to create that plasma. Furthermore, the quality of the electron beam you will get will be worse, because the non-linear effects will be even larger.

Zz.

Wakefield plasma acceleration is an innovative method of accelerating plasma particles to high velocities using an electromagnetic field generated by a laser pulse or particle beam. This technology has the potential to revolutionize space propulsion systems, as it can achieve much higher velocities and efficiencies compared to traditional methods such as VASIMR.

One of the main advantages of wakefield plasma acceleration is its ability to achieve much higher speeds, potentially up to 99% of the speed of light. This would greatly reduce travel time for spacecraft, making it feasible to explore distant planets and even interstellar space.

Additionally, this technology has the potential for higher efficiency, as the conversion of electricity to force is more efficient at higher speeds. This means that less energy would be required to accelerate the plasma particles, making it a more sustainable and cost-effective propulsion system.

However, there are still challenges to be overcome in order to make wakefield plasma acceleration a viable option for space propulsion. The technology is still in its early stages of development and more research and testing is needed to fully understand its capabilities and limitations.

In conclusion, wakefield plasma acceleration shows great promise for revolutionizing space propulsion systems and could potentially open up new possibilities for space exploration. It is an exciting area of research and development that scientists and engineers are actively working on to unlock its full potential.

What is wakefield plasma acceleration?

Wakefield plasma acceleration is a type of particle accelerator that uses an intense laser or electron beam to create a plasma wakefield in a plasma medium. This wakefield can then be used to accelerate charged particles, such as electrons, to high energies in a much shorter distance compared to traditional accelerators.

How does wakefield plasma acceleration work?

In wakefield plasma acceleration, a laser or electron beam is focused onto a gas or plasma medium, which ionizes the gas and creates a plasma. This plasma then forms a wakefield, which is a region of alternating electric fields. Charged particles that are injected into this wakefield experience a net acceleration, allowing them to reach high energies in a much shorter distance compared to traditional accelerators.

What are the potential applications of wakefield plasma acceleration?

Wakefield plasma acceleration has the potential to revolutionize the field of particle accelerators, as it can achieve higher energies in smaller spaces compared to traditional accelerators. This technology has potential applications in areas such as high-energy physics, medical imaging and cancer treatment, and materials science research.

What are the advantages of wakefield plasma acceleration?

One of the main advantages of wakefield plasma acceleration is its ability to accelerate particles to high energies in a much shorter distance compared to traditional accelerators. This makes it a more compact and cost-effective option for many applications. Additionally, wakefield plasma acceleration can achieve higher accelerating gradients, which can lead to higher particle energies and beam quality.

What are the challenges facing wakefield plasma acceleration?

Some of the challenges facing wakefield plasma acceleration include controlling and shaping the plasma wakefield, as well as maintaining the stability and quality of the accelerated particle beam. Additionally, more research is needed to improve the efficiency of this technology and make it more practical for real-world applications.