1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What career options would I have with neuroscience

1. Jul 13, 2009 #1
    Like what areas of work should I look into?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2009 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This is just an opinion, but I think 'neuroscience' is one of those specialties that sounds interesting on the surface, but has a strong potential to suffer from a lack of consistency between institutions.

I am assuming that you're talking about an undergraduate degree in neuroscience and that you're looking into options other than continuing in academia (ie master's, PhD, etc.).

I don't know what's covered in a neuroscience degree. Is it biology based? Psychology? I assume that you cover some imaging science as well (MRI, CT, PET, SPECT, etc.). Do you do an honours project? If so, what is yours in? Do you cover neural networks and models of the learning process?

To assess the areas of work your education will give you an advantage in and possible qualify you for, you have to assess the skills that you've picked up along the way. For example, lets say that you've particularly enjoyed your psychology classes and ended up doing a fourth year research project that measured the ability of witness to accureately recall events in follow-up interviews. The kind of skills developed here would help with careers in law enforcement, human resources, recruiting, education, research, etc.

4. Jul 16, 2009 #3
    From what I know, you could go into medicine (neurosurgeon or neurologist) or research.
    The research really varies between institutions. One possibility is testing psychological responses by taking an ECG or SPECT. Another is tracking the progress of neurological disesase with EMG or functional MRI.
    Your focus would be either physiology (structures such as muscle stimulating clusters), biochemistry/imaging (cell markers and metabolytes), or psychology (any of the above to test a theory about behavioral responses).
    That generally sums it up. You can find a lot more detail if you look up the terms I used, as in "neuroscience functional MRI".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook