What charges on my hair after comb?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter oem7110
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Charges Hair
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 8K views
oem7110
Messages
149
Reaction score
0
After I comb my hair, does it supposed that my hair is positively charged and the wood comb is negatively charged? since the electrons went from your hair to the wood comb.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't really understand what you are asking. Are you asking IF there are charges transferred from your hair to your comb, or how they are transferred, or what?
 
nDever said:
According to the triboelectric series (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triboelectric_effect), after combing your hair with a wood comb, the comb will attain a weak negative charge.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRRsLB6wUKEON5YRL9RD0iBTWqFzkFGrjExNCSyzpFWwjADAfQ_.jpg


Red is for + and Black is for -.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxMF9h8qAI1V_yUx2ycue_98QiS_2aqx74bfp-VzJua5AUjpZ4kw.jpg


If I place red rod into positive side of battery and place black rod into negative side of battery, it displays +9V.

I measure it using voltmeter and proved it you are wrong, after combing my hair with a wood comb,

Keep my finger touch on the red rod and let the black rod touch my hair. it displays positive value on meter.
On the other hands, keep my finger touch on the red rod and let the black rod touch wood comb. it displays negative value on meter.

Am I right? or do I mis-interpret the voltmeter.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions