1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What classes do I need? What do I need to study?

  1. Nov 2, 2013 #1
    Hey guys, so I'm just some teenager who is in first year Mathematics and Physics Bsc at University of Strathclyde in Glasgow UK.

    I am doing really well since it's first year it is so easy....

    I had a dream yesterday, where I designed some arbitrary piece of tech, and then after that I got the parts necessary and built it. It was a tiny gadget to measure shock waves or something.

    Either way I was interested in that, and wanted to see if I would be good at it.

    I don't really know what I want to do later, so I wanted to try these things out.

    Now, my problem:
    I have no idea how to design anything, nor do I remotely know how tech works, nor do I know anything about circuits other than basic high school stuff.

    My question:
    What specific classes/courses do I need to crash/take in order to get a better understanding of designing/building complex technological systems?

    I am taking Physics and Mathematics currently.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2013 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    For tech, study electrical engineering.
  4. Nov 2, 2013 #3
    What about designing tech for Physics uses, or tech for Biomedical uses etc...

    I guess what it comes down to is an understanding of technology which is Electrical Engineering.

    Any specific classes you know of? I can attend any of the classes listed here;

    http://cts.strath.ac.uk/live1314sws/default.aspx?context=modules [Broken]

    There are drop down menues or just type in anything.
    Basically anything Strathclyde offers.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. Nov 2, 2013 #4


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    I suggest a chat with a faculty adviser - either in physics, or in engineering. They will understand the programs available to you and the appropriate sequences for courses, labs, etc.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook