What classic books are you reading?

• Thread starter Xiox
  • Start date

Evo

Mentor
meteor said:
What kind of people are you????
I liked Raistlin, even though he was evil & twisted he had a few nice moments.

Did you read the book about Raistlin & Caramon when they were growing up? It will make you see Raistlin in a different light & understand him better.

Cragwolf, have you read The Metamorphosis or In the Penal Colony by Kafka? They're a couple of short stories.

Evo said:
We need sarcastic smilie!!
Oh yeah, we definitely need that. :sarcastic smilie:

:wink:

Tsu

Gold Member
Evo said:
It was chroot, not Greg. chroot said if we can find the other missing smilies, he'll add them back too. We need sarcastic smilie!!
Yeah, I just saw that in another thread. I thanked him there. :wink: You know... I have a bunch of those smiles copied into a Word doc. I can't remember the 'sarcastic' smilie but I may have it. I'll email the doc to you - look to see if it's on there. If yeah, I'll get it to chroot. OK?

Tsu

Gold Member
Here's what I wrote to Greg in the other thread. I just changed the name to properly address the true recipient of my appreciation. :wink: :biggrin:

(HEY! WE GOT MORE SMILIES!!! THE DEVIL IS BACK! AND CYRING!! OH BOY!!!!!!! Oo. Oo. I think I really love this one, too! -> :uhh:)

YEEEHAAAAAA!!!

:wink: :eek: :rofl: :frown: :cry: :mad: :uhh: :redface: :devil: :rolleyes: :biggrin: :smile: :confused: :tongue: :cool:

Ahhhhh. That felt great. Thanks, chroot!!! :wink:

p.s.
and no duct tape was necessary! :smile:

Evo

Mentor
You have the smilies!! I just sent the ones we need back to you.

Tsunami, we will all have you to thank if chroot can add them. :biggrin:

Tsu

Gold Member
Evo said:
You have the smilies!! I just sent the ones we need back to you.

Tsunami, we will all have you to thank if chroot can add them. :biggrin:
:cool: I emailed ya back. :cool: I liked the old 'cool' smilie, too. Not that I don't like this one... They just have kind of different looks to go with their coolosity. (coolosity? :uhh:) :rofl: :biggrin:

Evo said:
Cragwolf, have you read The Metamorphosis or In the Penal Colony by Kafka? They're a couple of short stories.
I've read The Metamorphosis, not sure about the other one. It's been a while since I've read fiction, and much of my fiction is still at my parent's place, what, 10 years since I moved out? :smile:

jimmy p

Gold Member
Evo said:
I liked Raistlin, even though he was evil & twisted he had a few nice moments.

You ARE my mom!!! He was the only one that actually did ANYTHING in the series. And they relied on him for everything.

Evo

Mentor
cragwolf said:
I've read The Metamorphosis, not sure about the other one. It's been a while since I've read fiction, and much of my fiction is still at my parent's place, what, 10 years since I moved out? :smile:
Well, unless you are a real die hard Kafka fan, you may not enjoy In the Penal Colony. It's a bit much, but very good.

Amazon.com reviews "Perhaps the best of these is "In the Penal Colony." It reads like Michel Foucault's "Discipline And Punish" on acid. It is almost like a satire on what Hegel liked to refer to as the "slaughterhouse of history." The story is at once terrifying and grotesquely comical."

I actually saw the movie version of "The Castle" before reading it. I was so angry. Just when I thought I would finally get some answers as to what was going on, when the land surveyor is chasing after the sled that is going to the Castle... :mad:

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I adore Tom Robbins. What an imagination! Who else could come up with a description like:
"Her hair was as straight and red as ironed ketchup."
:biggrin:

Still Life with Woodpecker is definitely the best of his novels.