What coefficents make these L.I. Vectors 0? I row reduced, and

  • Thread starter Thread starter mr_coffee
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Row Vectors
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
mr_coffee
Messages
1,613
Reaction score
1
Hello everyone, its me.
I had a question again:
I was suppose to determine if these vectors, A, B, and C, and D Linear independent, Well A, B, C are linear independent, but D is not, I got

D =
3/5
-4/5
-1/5
0

A =
1
0
0
0

B =
0
1
0
0

C =
0
0
1
0

I row reduced and got:
1 0 0
0 1 0
0 0 1
If they are linearly dependent, determine a non-trivial linear relation - (a non-trivial relation is three numbers which are not all three zero.) Otherwise, if the vectors are linearly independent, enter 0's for the coefficients, since that relationship always holds.
A + B + C + D = 0.

So they want me to find Coefficents that make A + B +C +D= 0, and I'm confused on how I'm suppose to do that! Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You found them to be linearly independent, they tell you what to pick as coefficients:

"...if the vectors are linearly independent, enter 0's for the coefficients, since that relationship always holds."

Will any other choice of coefficients work? (Remember the definition of linear independence?)
 
Shmoe, sorry u must have gotten my orginal post, after posting it i realized that hah, but i came across a simllair problem, in which A, B, and C, are L.I. But D isn't. And its throwing me off! thanks!
 
Write it out in detail:
[tex]\alpha A+ \beta B+ \gamma C+ \delta D= 0[/tex]
is
[tex](\alpha, 0, 0, 0)+ (0, \beta, 0, 0)+ (0, 0,\gamma, 0)+ (\frac{3}{5}\delta, -\frac{4}{5}\delta,-\frac{1}{5}\delta, 0)[/tex]
[tex]= (\alpha+ \frac{3}{5}\delta,\beta-\frac{4}{5}\delta,\gamma-\frac{1}{5}\delta, 0)= (0,0,0,0)[/tex]
So we must have
[tex]\alpha+ \frac{3}{5}\delta= 0[/tex]
[tex]\beta-\frac{4}{5}\delta= 0[/tex]
[tex]\gamma-\frac{1}{5}\delta= 0[/tex]
That gives 3 equations for the 4 unknown numbers [itex]\alpha, \beta, \gamma, \delta[/itex]. Of course, there are an infinite number of solutions. I suggest taking [itex]\delta[/itex] equal to some easy (non-zero) number and solving for the others.
 
Last edited by a moderator: