1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What college to join for Bsc in Physics in India?

1. Apr 12, 2015 #1
    I cleared my 12th board and am expecting to get about 80% and I did not do very well in Jee mains either as I only solved the physics portion. I will be giving cmi entrance exam but I want some more options. Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2015 #2

Vinay080

Gold Member

IISER's, IIT's are the best colleges if you have high grades.

4. Apr 15, 2015 #3
    Well that's the thing, I don't have high grades. I slacked off during my 12th, I wasn't motivated at all to study just for the sake of scoring well in examinations.

5. Apr 15, 2015 #4

Vinay080

Gold Member

I don't know where you stay, anyway, you can google for the ranks of Indian colleges and choose among them. Let me say my experience, I have joined St.Joseph's College (Bangalore) for the B.Sc course and JNP (Jawaharlal Nehru Planetarium) REAP classes. REAP classes are for "any" of the interested students in Science (especially Physics and Biology, though you will also be taught advanced math), where in the first two years, you will be taught some basics like Newtonian mechanics, Mathematical methods for Physicists, QM, QED, along with a trip to Asia's biggest Telescope (Kavalur in Tamil Nadu). In the third year you will be allowed to do research projects with students in IISc along with stipend. If you are in Bangalore, you have the chance to join REAP. Otherwise, search such classes in your state (if any).

6. Apr 16, 2015 #5
    I live in Bhopal, and here I don't think we have REAP classes. And there aren't any good college here except IISER Bhopal. Should I join any good college in Banglore? I have applied for christ university there but chances of me getting selected are pretty low. Can you suggest some good colleges in Banglore that take students from other states too.

7. Apr 16, 2015 #6

Vinay080

Gold Member

If you have already planned to come here in Bangalore, then first option (according to the info I have) would be IISc (not sure about the availability of course), then Christ College, then St.Joseph's (I have heard about Oxford college??, but not sure).

Just consider knowing about other places in India, I said about Bangalore because I stay in Bangalore.

8. Apr 16, 2015 #7
    I have not planned yet but I didn't found any other cities where they offer REAP classes. And also there aren't any good colleges in my city for BSc so i was planning on moving out, So if Bangalore is good I will move there. What city would you suggest? That have a good college for BSc .

9. Apr 16, 2015 #8
    There are a plenty of options if you have to go for a BSc with an honors in Physics.Depending on where you stay,there are central universities like DU,BHU,Calcutta university as well as various state universities like Pune university which offer this course.You should look at their websites.If you perform well in your JEE,you can apply for integrated programs at various IISERs and NISERs.

10. Apr 16, 2015 #9
    i would suggest for M.S University vadodara

11. Apr 17, 2015 #10
    DU wants at least 85% and I don't think I will make it. I am too late to apply for BHU and I have searched many state universities but I am confused, which one to choose? And also the problem with state universities is that they don't prefer having students from other states.

12. Apr 17, 2015 #11
    Can you please tell why is it good?

13. Apr 17, 2015 #12
    better teaching facilities
    well equipped lab
    plus an overall development in other subjects other than physics that are required for great Carrier opportunities
    overall training for exams like GATE NET SLET n various phd programmes

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook