What colleges are fit my criteria?

  • Topic: Schools 
  • Thread starter Thread starter glennpagano44
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Criteria Fit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
glennpagano44
Messages
64
Reaction score
0
I am looking at colleges right now and I was wondering what other colleges you would suggest. I am looking for a college with a strong undergrad physics program. I got a 1100/1600 (1480/2400) on my SAT's, 3.74/4.0 GPA. I am looking for colleges close to the philadelphia area, but not in the city. So far I have picked out Penn State, Widener, Villanova and Bloomsburg. What colleges do you suggest that fit my needs and are in my academic achivement range?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
So first, the SAT score is a bit of a weakness compared to the good GPA. If you have the opportunity, work through a test-prep book and try taking it again. There's a good chance you'll get a much better score the next time around, just because you'll be used to the test situation. Also, apparently many high schools are now giving out scores higher than 4.0 for some classes (?), so I'm not exactly sure how far a 3.75 goes these days. Perhaps someone more in-tune with current happenings will know.

As for colleges, we will have an easier time giving advice if you can provide more information. Here are a few key questions that would help narrow the field:
Do you prefer a big or small college?
How intent are you on doing physics?
Is cost an issue?
 
maze said:
So first, the SAT score is a bit of a weakness compared to the good GPA. If you have the opportunity, work through a test-prep book and try taking it again. There's a good chance you'll get a much better score the next time around, just because you'll be used to the test situation. Also, apparently many high schools are now giving out scores higher than 4.0 for some classes (?), so I'm not exactly sure how far a 3.75 goes these days. Perhaps someone more in-tune with current happenings will know.

As for colleges, we will have an easier time giving advice if you can provide more information. Here are a few key questions that would help narrow the field:
Do you prefer a big or small college?
How intent are you on doing physics?
Is cost an issue?

Do you prefer a big or small college? It doesn't really matter to me, I can adapt easily.
How intent are you on doing physics? I am sure that I want to do physics.
Is cost an issue? No cost is not an issue.

This is second time I took the SATs and I took a class to better my first score which I did. I just don't know why I am doing so bad. That 3.75 is out of 4.0 like before but my weighted GPA is 4.4.

Thanks
 
Now that I think of it I am not 100% intent on physics because I want to leave my options open in becoming a funeral director
 
I'm not that familiar with the philadelphia area, but here are a few you didn't mention that might be worth looking into:
Drexel
Haverford
Rutgers