Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What could be causing this microstructural difference?

1. Aug 3, 2018 #1
    Hello,

I have two rebar samples of virtually identical chemical composition of 0.27 wt%C, 1.2 wt%Mn and 0.033 wt%V that are A706 grade. The rolling mill parameters are essentially the same yet I am seeing differences in pearlite size upon microscopy. The billets used to make the bars are reheated in a furnace before they hit the mill. What are some possible explanations of why this is occurring?

Attached are the two micrographs taken at the same magnification. 5318 A core 20x.png 4534 core 20x.png

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2018 #2

Tom.G

Science Advisor

4. Aug 6, 2018 #3
    That was my first thought. The images show that the pearlite colonies are significantly larger in the first image, so I am lead to believe there is a difference in both cooling rate and carbon composition. Also, I must add that the micrographs were taken at the core of the bar.

5. Aug 7, 2018 #4

Tom.G

Science Advisor

Different bar dimensions?

6. Aug 7, 2018 #5
    The first and second image are of 19 and 13 mm bars, respectively. The bars were not subject to a quenching process, but rather mostly air cooled. Taking the dimensions of the bar into account we might see a slightly finer structure in the center of the 13 mm bar. I think based on the images this is something we can suggest. However, my concern is the dramatic increase in pearlite of the 19 mm bar. I wonder if something else could be causing this.

7. Aug 9, 2018 at 11:18 AM #6

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Pearlite forms as the billet is worked and as the bar cools. The smaller bar needs to be worked for longer, so it has more deformation and time to develop pearlite before the microstructure reactions were frozen.

It is also possible that grain alignment due to stretching is affecting the view. It looks like both sections were cut from the same section orientation across the core of the bar. The section of each grain will be reduced as the crystals are stretched more to make the smaller bar.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted