What countries pay their physics teachers the most?

In summary, a physics teacher in a high school in a developed country could expect to make a salary in the range of $60,000 to $100,000.
DoesntCommute
I'm looking to live abroad for a while and save up some money before starting grad school. I have a bachelors in physics and philosophy and I think I'd enjoy working as a physics teacher at the high-school level; are there any countries (preferably with a substantial english-speaking population) that pay their physics teachers especially well?

Physics news on Phys.org
"Abroad" is a relative term, whose meaning depends on where you are now. :wink:

I have been helping out random people at school with Maths and Physics over the past month or so and it's been somewhat fun. I wouldn't want to dismiss teaching immediately, so a similar question comes to mind: what kind of salary could one expect as a Physics/Chemistry/Maths (all three or one/two of the three) at the high school level? In the US? Europe? I don't know much about the "value of money" but how would that stack up as opposed say, a doctor's or lawyer's salary in the same country?

I'm not just interested in money (as long as I have something mildly interesting to keep me busy, I'm all good) but maybe around that time, I'll want to have a kid (god forbid) and I'd want to settle down, give him/her nice things, etc.

According to an education report on one of the US news outlets (I want to say it was Bret Baier on Foxnews), the highest paid, most respected teachers are in South Korea and Singapore. Both countries only allow / pick the brightest students to pursue the teaching profession and the teachers are constantly scrutinized anytime the teachers are "lacking" and are immediately sent to re-training before being run out of the profession.

I cannot find a link to the report, but here are some links which pretty much say the same things:

http://educationinjapan.wordpress.c...hat-it-takes-to-have-the-best-school-systems/
http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/9943258/article-Why-aren-t-our-teachers-the-best-and-the-brightest-

Last edited by a moderator:

I cannot provide specific information on teacher salaries in different countries. However, I can suggest some resources that may help you in your search for the best paying countries for physics teachers.

Firstly, you can consult international salary comparison websites such as Numbeo or Expatistan, which provide data on average salaries for different professions in various countries. These websites allow you to filter by profession and location, and can give you a general idea of the salary range for physics teachers in different countries.

Additionally, you can research specific countries that have a higher demand for physics teachers, as they may offer higher salaries to attract qualified educators. For example, countries like Singapore, South Korea, and Switzerland have a strong focus on science education and may offer competitive salaries for physics teachers.

It would also be beneficial to connect with other physics teachers or educators who have experience working abroad. They may have firsthand knowledge of the salary and job opportunities in different countries.

Keep in mind that salary is not the only factor to consider when choosing a country to work in. Other factors such as cost of living, work-life balance, and cultural fit should also be taken into account. I wish you the best of luck in your search for a suitable country to work as a physics teacher.

1. What countries have the highest salaries for physics teachers?

According to the World Economic Forum's 2018 Global Competitiveness Report, the top five countries with the highest salaries for secondary school physics teachers are Switzerland, Germany, Luxembourg, Denmark, and Norway.

2. What factors contribute to higher salaries for physics teachers in certain countries?

Some factors that contribute to higher salaries for physics teachers in certain countries include the demand for qualified teachers, the cost of living, and the country's prioritization of education and STEM fields.

3. Are there any countries where physics teachers are paid less than average?

Yes, there are several countries where physics teachers are paid less than the global average. These include countries in Africa and South America, where the average teacher salary is significantly lower than in developed countries.

4. How do salaries for physics teachers compare to salaries for other subject teachers?

In most countries, salaries for physics teachers are comparable to those of other subject teachers. However, in some countries, such as the United States, there is a shortage of qualified physics teachers, leading to higher salaries for those in this subject area.

5. Are there any non-monetary benefits for physics teachers in countries with higher salaries?

In addition to higher salaries, physics teachers in countries such as Switzerland and Germany often have access to better resources and facilities, as well as opportunities for professional development and research collaboration.