1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses What courses should I have taken before Numerical Methods?

1. Nov 23, 2009 #1
    Hey everyone, I hope this is the right place to put this. I was wondering if you could answer this question.

Basically, I'm having trouble with my Numerical Methods course. The only college-level math course I took before this was the Calculus 1 course. I'm wondering if because I hadn't yet gone further with, say, linear algebra (mentioned in the text) and more calculus (in the "calculus review" section of the course I remembered learning about half of what we were doing). So... what courses should a person take before this course? Or am I just clueless?

(I'd prefer not to believe the latter and will thus go on to blame the text :devil: )

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2009 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

What prerequisites does your college's course catalog list for the course?

In general, what you need to know beforehand depends on which specific topics your course covers. I can easily imagine a numerical methods course that would have Calculus I and II, Linear Algebra and Differential Equations as prerequisites.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook