What Defines a Ball, Interior, and Limit Point in Metric Spaces?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
teme92
Messages
185
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement



For a metric space (X,d) and a subset E of X, de fine each of the terms:

(i) the ball B(p,r), where pεX and r > 0
(ii) p is an interior point of E
(iii) p is a limit point of E


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



i) Br(p) = {xεX: d(x.p)≤r}


ii) Br(p) = {xεX: d(x.p)≥r}

iii) I do not know the answer to this at all.

I do not know if the first two parts are correct either so I would appreciate any help given.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
teme92 said:

Homework Statement



For a metric space (X,d) and a subset E of X, define each of the terms:

(i) the ball B(p,r), where pεX and r > 0
(ii) p is an interior point of E
(iii) p is a limit point of E


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



i) Br(p) = {xεX: d(x.p)≤r}


ii) Br(p) = {xεX: d(x.p)≥r}

iii) I do not know the answer to this at all.

I do not know if the first two parts are correct either so I would appreciate any help given.

i) might be ok, if you mean 'closed ball' and d(x.p) should be d(x,p). But seriously, these are definitions. If you don't know what 'interior' or 'limit point' mean you should look them up. The process of looking them up will give you the definitions.